Belly Twitches... Normal or Odd?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myac

Just this morning, I was giving one of my rats her medicine for a URI and I noticed her sister, Iris, was looking at me but her tummy (on the side I could see) was twitching quickly. It sort of looked like she was breathing weird or she had a muscle spasm on that side. I don't know if it was happening on the other side too because she didn't move from the spot she was in while it was happening.
She didn't look like she was in pain, but I've never seen that before. Her side was rapidly moving in and out much more than when they breathe normally.
This happened for about 5-10 seconds and didn't seem to actually coincide with Iris's breaths.

Call me crazy, but it's got me worried!! :sad3:
Anybody know what it could mean?

Did it look like she was hiccuping?
Also, sometimes if rats are trying to sniff the air really fast, their sides look like they are twitching.
Just keep an eye on her. Listen to her lungs once in a while to see if there's any odd sounds. Simply hold her up to your ear, you can usually detect something.

I never even thought of hiccups! :doh:
I bet that's what it was.
I will keep an eye on her, though, just to be sure.

Thanks! :bow:

Back