Being mum

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6 roan, 4 hooded and 2 berkshire, and I think 3 are boys, exactly matching my waitinglist

The boys
DSCN4651.jpg

piling
haar.jpg

Berkshire
DSCN4629.jpg

Hoodies
DSCN4628.jpg

Roans or something looking like roan
DSCN4627.jpg

Handfull
DSCN4621.jpg

Just after finding the two dead this came on the sky
DSCN4617.jpg

Sometimes the new babies aren't going to the bathroom and get clogged on their own toxins. The way to deal with this is to take a Q-tip, dip it in warm water and wipe their butts and where they pee from :oops: like the mother would if she were cleaning them there. When the Q-tip changes color, you have reached your goal.
Also, using a cotton ball with warm water (damp, not saturated) and wiping the rest of their bodies helps them to digest the mother's milk.

Pauley - thank you, maybe you are on to something, because they did have 'something' at the back, but stupid me was thinking not to mess with mummy-stuff. I'm cleaning them now! Lost one more :cry: this morning when I came home mum had put two at a side (still warm and with milk), I just put them back in to the rest, but now 6 hours later one of the 2 has died. I've been so lucky before, never lost a single baby, so it's hard - still I look at the rest and fell blissfull again!

I think (hope) pauley was to the point, peewee and popo is comming out of all the babies in giant amounts, and they seem more lively now that we are helping them relieve themselves. It'll be hard work, but I hope the rest will make it. Been so busy, that I have no pics from today :wink:

It makes me happy to help :D :!:

Years ago we had a mother rat stroke on us and die the next day. We quickly learned how to be momma rats. We managed to save seven out of ten (two of whick I didn't think would make it even with their mother around). Also I wanted to mention that when you parent the babies like this, they will bond with you in a way that you will probably never experience again, so you might want to keep them all to yourself. :idea:

2 more has left us, I have a wonderfull friend helping me, but every two hours is making these baby-days hell instead of heaven, but we'll do all we can - mum totally don't care about her babies now, so we put her in a small transporter so she's forced close to them and they are all getting milk enough (I hope)

Back