Behaviour and Pet Store Rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LA

We all know that Petsmart is a bad place to get rats. Rat Mills, staff that's not knowledgable, I could go on. We talk about how unhealthy these rats can be physical wise but we don't talk about behaviour too much in pet store rats. I wanted to let you know what I have gone through with Lily.

Lily as some of you know I purchased in Sudbury at PetSmart there. I fell in love with her through the window, and when the associate put her on my lap she started to brux and then climbed up on my shoulder and bruxed in my ear. I chose her then, well she actually chose me. I walked out of the store with her on my shoulder.

After that she started showing signs of low confidence, nervousness. She slinked away when you tried to pick her up. She started to panick a little when you did actually pick her up and she would run up to your shoulder and slink around your neck. She was never comfortable when you held her. Then she started to self barber. Her front arm was almost bare, and then she started in on her other one. Fortunately she hasn't gotten further then that. When I got Olivia and Pearl, Pearl tried to play with her, but you would just hear whines from her and she would run away. She is my most talkative rat and she was a sweet rat but she had what I would call a serious lack of confidence issue. So I started working with her. I would pick her up and talk to her. We spent a lot of mommy and Lily time. I would tell her I loved her and cuddle her. I would try and play with her. Every chance I got I would pay special attention to her. Eventually she came around. Now when someone picks on her she fights back. She plays with Pearl now, and man can she swing her hip. She's become a ratty-fu master. She still barbers but it's not as bad. And you can tell by her face she's more comfortable on you. She is now more daring.

Now lets talk about Willow, she's a totally different case. She is from the pet store my friends used to own. I know she was as well taken care of as they could and it definately shows. She's loveable, she loves everyone and anything. You can dangle her and she doesn't care... well until she finds something more interesting to do, then she squirms away, but the look on her face says, 'let me go, I wanna play' not 'omg I'm scared of dangling'. I can tell that Marion took good care of her despite the fact that she was alone in the cage for a while.

Now it also could be in Lily's nature that she's like this but I have talked to a friend said it's most likely the petstore. I tell people I have a rat with confidence issues and they look at me funny. But it's true.

Now this can come from anywhere but just another thing that shows that rat mills are not a good thing.

At one time I might have agreed with you there, but not anymore. Since having had over 200 rats from all over, pet stores, breeders, shelters, homegrown and adoption from oopsies, I have noticed that the rats can have any kind of character and behavior. I can't pinpoint and say oh, pet store because he's skittish cause it has turned out that some of my guys have been skittish and came from a good beginning.
But it does make sense to think a rat coming from a pet store/rat mill, will not make a good pet.

I agree with Joanne, although I have never had a breeder rat. No matter what, each rat is very unique. Suri and Linny, the oops babies from Melissa were handraised and real dolls. Linny is still the most beautiful licky girl but sometimes Suri gets really frightened and she cannot be touched or caught and will fight free from your hands. I have no idea what sets her off. I have had feeder rats that were standoffish for most of their lives and others that were cuddlebugs (even girls!)...there is no guarantees ever. :) I would say a socialized rat that was cared for and had proper nutrition from birth or prior to it, etc has a greater chance at being a happy, well-adjusted rat but you just don't know.

I agree with Jorats too. Rats are as individual as people. Also, of all the franchise pet stores on the scale of Petsmart, they are, in my experience, the least bad about their small animals. I'm looking at you, PetCo. But that is mostly dependent on the individual store employees.

You're right, very right. I think that the pet store in general makes a difference too (I'm not saying they are good). That and the rats behaviour.

I don't know where Tiki got her rats from (the Welland babies) but I decided to name the beige girl I have Britney. Why? Because she's CRAZY!! :panic: She's not wild or bitey, just bizarrely hyper. Her sister Penny is a bit skittish but nothing like her nutso sister. But that's OK, it makes my visits to the rat room interesting. :wink:

both of mine are petstore rats... i got them from a small, reliable petstore here in town and i have to say they're great!!! although the second one i got seemed a bit skidish, but he's getting better although he is still skidish, so i figure it's just in his personality. i have to say, i can't complain! but i also had a really knowlegable rep when getting my first one (which was shortly before # 2), who suggested him to me because he was so "sweet" and he def. is, but so is his brother, just in different ways :nod:

I've gotten rats at Petsmart, a local shelter, and a shelter at Petsmart. All of them were wonderful pets, except Kori was kinda skittish, but she was abandon, and Calvin didn't exactly welcome her. But Roky was extremely friendly from the start and it lasted all his life, I got him and his brothers from Petsmart. Also, the rats at my amazing local pet store (she normally doesn't carry rats, but someone couldn't care for them.) are the meanest things, my finger still stings where one bit me, and they have fantastic care. Petsmart isn't bad... the don't sell rats till they're old enough, and seem to have okay care. But Petco keeps rats in tiny aquariums, and the rats are terribly depressing to look at. I'm beginning to ramble, but my point is that rats can come from semi-crappy places and still be snazzy.

I'm new to the whole thing but I got mine from a pet store just yesterday. They were both very shy at first but Lazarus is coming around very quickly, sitting on my lap and enoying the cuddles. Shinobi is a bit more wary of everything but he's getting there.

The Store I got them from had like 8 rats in a hamster cage and werent handled much, you could tell the staff there seemed almost afraid to go near them :| But yeah, mine seem like they're gonna be lovely little guys ^.^

Mandy x

NezumiNeko said:
shinobi is a fantastic name for a rat. Sorry for the irrelavance, but I love other peoples pet names.

I was thinking the same thing!

It's a good discussion actually. Some people on other forums have said rats from breeders are more socialized and are in better health while pet store rats are more scared and in poor health. But I can't offer an opinion as all the rats I've had were from shelters or rat rescues.

Linda,
Raven and Luna (pet store surprise litter I helped to rehome) were handled from birth
although their environment was far from the best.
I think Emma was also well handled as a baby too.

all my girls come from different places.. pet stores, spca, rescue, friends, kijiji... for instance, my kissie girls are misha (petstore), leia (clark's angel rat rescue), and thai (spca). the alpas are in order of dominance- emily (petstore), then mya (clarks rescue) janeway (clarks rescue) and mini (from alexandraboo)... rats are just lil humans.lol i havent found that my girls personalities were not as "good" when they came from a petstore compared to a rescue or whatever... i do find however, that their personalities change over time, as new rats are introduced.
but anyway.. i love all my girls.

I agree with you Linda, Dubchick's avatar pic is amazing. I can't help but smile when I see it. :D
Personally, I had a bad experience being witness to baby rats being sold as feeders at Petsmart, and right out in the open where anyone could watch the transaction and overhear the conversation. I was fuming and shaking I was so upset, so I wrote Petsmart an email and cancelled my PetPerks card and have not shopped there again since.
I also agree with most of you that every rat is unique and you never know what their personality will be solely based on where they've come from.

My first rats were from a pet store. They were unsocial, preferred not to be handled, but never bit. Two lived to be very old rats, around 40 months. The other, my beloved Henry, died at 18 months from a tumor. I swore to never get pet store rats again.

Fast forward to this summer...LOL We have Voldy, a rescue who came from a pet store. Esteban, another rescue who likely was from a pet store and Xerxes, born to a pet store mommy. Talk about cuddle bugs! My heart is getting all gooey just typing about them. Until you have had a baby nakkie climb the cage just to look at you and peep for attention, its priceless. Three old men, who were also from a pet store mom..wonderful!!!!

I dont know about other experiences, other rats, but mine are wonderful. This group has changed my mind about pet store rats. I adopt from a resuce these days, no helping stores by buying from them.

My boys all came from pet stores. I now know that there are much better options, but as I was looking into bringing pet rats into my home, I didn't know where to go. I had also lived in the area for only 6 months. My 3 boys came from 2 big chain stores and I have had significantly different experiences.

Sept 2007-Sweet pea and Gusto adopted from Petco, within 3 days they were sneezing like crazy. Called the store (14 day guarantee) was told that their vet would not see new patients so I found a vet on my own. $150 later I walk back in to the store and explain my story and a young guy comes to the front and told me that they never should have been sold as pets and said they were in horrible health and asked me if they were even still alive. Needless to say I was appalled.
I returned to my vet and explained what happened. The receptionist had worked for the chain for several years and gave me the number to corporate and said I should report the employee, so I did. The people at the corporate number were appalled with my story and the store manager called me to personally apologize. My boys recovered (were on antibiotics for about 3 weeks) and have been in excellent health since then, except for the occasional fight.

I adopted another rat in July 2008 from PetSmart. The employees there obviously cared about the animals and they were telling me personality traits about each one to help me make a decision. The little guy has been in excellent help except for a recent bout with mites, but I think that is unrelated. He is such a snuggler and much more friendly than my other 2.

I agree that rats are all different personalities, but I know for any future adoptions I am definitely going to try a rescue group!

Back