Bedding question?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Rebel_Angel*

I cleaned and changed the cage yesterday, and I put a fleece blanket as bedding...It look's clean and really nice. And I figure it would be easy to clean.

My question is can I switch from the eco bedding stuff to the fleece blanket to the bedding and blanket every so often to cut back on money cost?

And with eco stuff is better the scented or unscented or there is no difference?

If your using fleece, make sure you have a litter pan in the area they "pee and poop" in the most! ..fleece gets smelly fast if your rats are not litter trained.

I would stick to the one thing, instead of switching ..I don't like to change my rats habitat often.

and always use unscented items with rats!

Could you find a cheaper bedding that has more per bag? I know what you mean, I had 5 cages and I was using Boxo from WalMart. I had to switch to Aspen from Flower Town Chinchillas, since there was more in a bag. I do fleece now in 2 cages (Ferret Nation) and Aspen in my Martins cage :)

Yes, you can switch to a whole new bedding (just don't switch every day). Pike one and stick with it :)

You can use fleece with a few litter pans filled with yesterday news unscented ( pretty cheap) ..I use dish pans or cat litter pans from the dollar store.

You can use Aspen like Donna and Myself!

Or even shredded newspaper (just call your newspaper company and make sure the ink is soy based)

Boxo and care fresh are expensive.

what size of the eco bedding are you buying? they offer two different size bags...the smaller one pretty much is entirely used up with one cage change. i buy the larger bag and it will last for about 3 cage changes. where you buy bedding from, they only offer one size?

is it the Kaytee aspen bedding and litter

can i buy it in bulk does it keep

the bag i got at pet's mart wher do they sell the bigger bag
i have two baby girl's that love to tunell in it and stuff so i stuff the cage pretty full

*Rebel_Angel* said:
is it the Kaytee aspen bedding and litter

can i buy it in bulk does it keep

the bag i got at pet's mart wher do they sell the bigger bag
i have two baby girl's that love to tunell in it and stuff so i stuff the cage pretty full

I was referring to the eco bedding you mention at the beginning of the thread. I don't know about other brands of bedding.

I believe it also comes in 20L bags, which is cheaper than buying two 10L bags. Probably not carried in all stores. Our local pet shop started carrying it, but before then I had to buy it from Petsmart. Was so glad when our local shop stocked it because I hate supporting Petsmart.

Yeah we have other pet shop's here i should go check them before bying the aspen if i buy two bag's of the big eco bag is that ok does bedding go bad

Idk that it goes bad. If kept for a very long time, it could get kind of musty or stale smelling. At the rate you go through bedding, I don't think it would be bad to buy two bags at once.

You could punch holes in each tube every inch and string them together with some ribbon :) They could chew tape and have little pieces stick to their mouth or ingest it :(

Flower Town Chinchillas sells 32lbs bags of Aspen bedding for $15.95 plus shipping. I am sure shipping wouldnt be much for you, they are in Ontario. I buy my Aspen from there and it costs me about $50. 1 bag lasts my cage for months! They have other types too....

Aspen - http://www.chinchilla.ca/items.php?ProductID=NAB90&Name=Bedding&source=acces

Back