Bedding problem and rats sneezing.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dewi

My rats prefer to sleep under boxes with folded up towels, flannel or fleece underneath. They also like to sleep under the bedding. My problem is that about 6 rats will squeeze in together under the same box. This then gets very pongy very quickly (overnight) and some of my rats then get sneezy, eventually needing to go on baytril. This is an on going problem.

I change their bedding daily. I've tried hammocks and tubes which they hate. I also put out heaps of boxes but they refuse to use them all, preferring to pile in together (I have 11 rats sleeping under 2 cardboard boxes).

So here are my questions: What do other people do for bedding and how do you avoid rats getting sneezy? Do you think hammocks are warm enough in winter and do you put fleece or other fabric on the hammocks for the rats to sleep under?

I do think these rats are prone to myco flare ups as they are by far the worst and all affected are siblings. They are only 1y 5m old! I've never had this issue with my other rats.

Are they only sneezy or congested? I don't worry to much for sneezes unless they persists or it's very wet. As far as preventing, that's a hard one. Sometimes it seems we try so hard or do too much, it's like trying to make them live in a bubble of sanitation. For me, in the winter we've got our furnace so there's no need to add extra fleece for warmth but then again, the start up of the furnace alone seems to cause more sneezes too. What about starting echinacea to boost their immune system at certain times of the year?

Well they are initially sneezy and if left they become congested. I'll try leaving some of the rats for a bit to see if the sneezing resolves itself. I do get paranoid when I have persistently sneezy rats though, just in case it leads on to something worse. However it's worth a try as giving all these antibiotics doesn't seem right. Nothing much else has changed and the seasons don't seem to affect them.

Thanks Jo for you suggestions, they are much appreciated.

Back