Bedding & Litter (Update - Page 2)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm new at owning rats...How on earth do you litter train them?We have a big 3 level cage that we were hoping they would go in the bottom on the tray but they go on the plastic on each level.Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You have to "spot clean" multiple times daily at first. Every time you see poop outside the litter box, you move it to the litter box. They should eventually get the hang of it.

Make sure that the litter is different from the bedding in the rest of the cage (here we use fleece all over the cage, and Yesterday's News in the litter box). Also, pay attention to where your rats use the bathroom, many rats will pick a corner, or a couple corners, to do their business in. Use those spots for the litter boxes. If they chose another corner, either move the litter box or add another one :)

I use Aspen for my guinea pigs, but never even thought of using it with the rats because of the dust. I use hemp for the rats' cage - probably the most dust-free product available (besides fleece!). Not everyone carries it - I use to buy it at Zellers, but then it seemed like they stopped carrying, but I have seen a few bags back a couple of weeks ago. Otherwise, some petstores do carry it. It might be more expensive then Aspen, though, depending on where you buy it...

MACS said:
I'm new at owning rats...How on earth do you litter train them?We have a big 3 level cage that we were hoping they would go in the bottom on the tray but they go on the plastic on each level.Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Congrats on being a new rat owner. Make sure you take a good look around teh forum, there is lots of information :)

What kind of litter do you use?
I find the best thing to do is to put a litter pan on each level of the cage (if you have big levels), if not then just put one on the bottom, if you can fit two on the bottom, that would be great because ratties like to go in multiple spots. Put the litter pans in the corners and make sure you use different litter in the litter pan, from what you use in the cage itsellf.
I use Living World Fresh & Comfy on the bottom of my cage, with Yesterdays News in the litter pans.
You could also use boxo for the cage itself.
Pine & Cedar should not be used with ratties.
Aspen & Carefresh I find are smelly.
Some people here use Fleece blankets for thier cages also (but it needs to be changed daily if you go this route)

So everytime they poop outside the litter box, pick it up and put it in the litter pan, also if they pee in the bedding, scoop it up and put it in the litter box, or if they pee on a level, take some litter from the litter box and soak up the pee and put it in the litter box. Make sure the litter box's don't get too full, or they wont go to them. Also when you clean the cage, make sure to leave some droppings and pee in the litter box xo it still smells a little so they know they have to go there. Once trained you can completly dump the litter pans.

I wish you luck in potty training your ratties :)

Ratty Momma said:
MACS said:

Congrats on being a new rat owner. Make sure you take a good look around teh forum, there is lots of information :)

I find the best thing to do is to put a litter pan on each level of the cage (if you have big levels), if not then just put one on the bottom, if you can fit two on the bottom, that would be great because ratties like to go in multiple spots. Put the litter pans in the corners and make sure you use different litter in the litter pan, from what you use in the cage itsellf.
I use Living World Fresh & Comfy on the bottom of my cage, with Yesterdays News in the litter pans.
Some people here use Fleece blankets for thier cages also (but it needs to be changed daily if you go this route)

So everytime they poop outside the litter box, pick it up and put it in the litter pan, also if they pee in the bedding, scoop it up and put it in the litter box, or if they pee on a level, take some litter from the litter box and soak up the pee and put it in the litter box. Make sure the litter box's don't get too full, or they wont go to them. Also when you clean the cage, make sure to leave some droppings and pee in the litter box xo it still smells a little so they know they have to go there. Once trained you can completly dump the litter pans.

You definately do not need to chance fleece daily...I have used fleece for over a year now and I leave it in the cage for a week at a time as do others I know of.

I think I would cry if I had to change fleece daily! Hahaha. Definitely not needed. Depending on the cage, fleece stays in for 4 to 7 days.

smilez_n_hugs said:
[quote="Ratty Momma":2z8ug80m]
MACS said:

You definately do not need to chance fleece daily...I have used fleece for over a year now and I leave it in the cage for a week at a time as do others I know of.[/quote:2z8ug80m]

If not completly litter trained you prob would because of all the pee. I don't know because I dont use fleece ..to me it would just smell to bad, haha.

smilez_n_hugs said:
My boys aren't pee litter trained (only because its nearly impossible with scent marking manrats).

My unertured males arn't pee trained, but my neutered males are!

How often you have to change your fleece depends largely on how many rats you have in a cage and how big that cage is. Smaller number in bigger cage, less fleece changing :D

Back