Baytril

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cityratt

I know...If i remember correctly that it can be compounded from its pill form into a liquid so long as said liquid is nummy and the rats want to eat it....right?

Mortar and pestle to crush up the pill, and then add a said amount of the liquid (syrup) so...if it were a 10mg baytril tab (which im sure dont exist but for the sake of example....) and you added 5ml of syrup to it..you would have a 2mg/ml suspension right?

From there you could figure out the dosing on rats (which im not sure what it is....would it be in the ratguide.....hmmm) and dose them appropriately?

Sorry if this is a random post, I was just thinking about the mechanics of compounding and wanted to see if the process i had in my head was indeed correct....

Cheers!

Your logistics are correct, and as per the example it would be 2mg/ml suspension. The usual pills are 22.7mg, so it's easiest to just add 1ml of fluid per pill. My Baytril pills are liver flavored [for dogs/cats] so I only add water, no syrup or anything like that. I also don't use a mortar and pestle. For small batches [2-3pills max] I'll just use a couple of spoons to crush the individual pills. For my usual batches, I put the 10 pills in a sandwich bag and go to town with the smooth side of a meat tenderizer. Gets all that pent up frustration out, too! You can also use a pill crusher, though my local pharmacies refuse to make my life easier and carry them on any sort of regular basis. The dosages would indeed be on RatGuide.

Nope,
I was just reconstituting some Amp at work and it got me to thinking about a time when I had compounded some Baytril for my previous kids.

Just making sure i had the theory right :)

I just got my first bottle of Baytril for horses. It's 10% injectable (twice the concentration of what I usually get). The good thing is that the bottle is 250 mls (giving ten times the amount of medication as the usual bottle I buy) but the price is less than four times the price of a small 5% bottle. A real bargain if you have a lot of rats or if you also have a friend with lots of rats!

Godmother - does that mean that its then 100mg/ml versus the 50mg/ml inj. that we generally carry in a small animal pratice?

Cityratt said:
Godmother - does that mean that its then 100mg/ml versus the 50mg/ml inj. that we generally carry in a small animal pratice?

I believe it is...from ratguide.com

*Note: If choosing to use Baytril 10%, keep in mind it has a concentration of 100 mg per 1 mL. Also, because the 10% concentration can be so caustic to tissue it must be diluted for all routes.

I tried it (the 100 mg/ml) for the first time yesterday morning, mixed in the usual potion of banana/peanut butter/baby cereal/Strawberry Nesquick. They ate it no problem. My husband has had no problem with it since.

So it looks like the oral route works OK as long as you have it mixed in with enough other stuff.

Back