baytril

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papercrow

Poor Junior. He had pneumonia a few months back and just yesterday it turned from his usual wheezy to a nasty 'crackly'. I took him back to my vet who seems pretty knowledgeable and he put him on baytril, which did the trick last time when it was way worse. My question is should I suggest that he goes on zithromax as well? Or should I just do the baytril because it worked last time? The dosage is 3cc (or is it 0.3??) until gone, which I think is 10 days.

Just to start with its most likely . 3cc's and 10 days is not long enough. A course of abs should be 14-21 days or more. My vet prescribes for 3 weeks. Sometimes baytril on its own will work, and there's no harm trying. You should see an improvement in 3-4 days, if not you can ask to add the Zithro. :)

My vet has gone straight to prescribing 30 days of meds for any respiratory problems. She has seen how fast things turn from one little URI to chronic problems... 30 days seems to really be the minimum time to really try to kick the problem "for good" and stop recurrances IMO.

Back