Baytril- Will it hurt a rat if they don't need it?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Using an antibiotic if it's not needed can increase their resistance to the antibiotic, making it less effective when they really DO need it.

If you use something like Baytril because you think they *might* have a flare up of Myco, then you have to commit yourself to 4-6 weeks of treatment. A short duration will only kill off all the susceptible bacteria, and the strong, resistant ones will survive...then if you need it again, it won't work.

Joanne said:
If you use something like Baytril because you think they *might* have a flare up of Myco, then you have to commit yourself to 4-6 weeks of treatment.
I have only had one rat on Baytril for life as she had an open urinary sphincter which allowed dirt etc to get in. Other than that I have never heard of treatment for 4-6 weeks! :?

Maple said:
Joanne said:
If you use something like Baytril because you think they *might* have a flare up of Myco, then you have to commit yourself to 4-6 weeks of treatment.
I have only had one rat on Baytril for life as she had an open urinary sphincter which allowed dirt etc to get in. Other than that I have never heard of treatment for 4-6 weeks! :?
Anything shorter than that does ramp up their resistance and in acute respiratory infections especially, may not completely fix the problem. 3 week treatment at an absolute minimum!!!

I guess everyone has different ideas and different ways of practise, if my rat shows no improvement after a couple treatments my vet will change up the meds to say a baytril/doxy mix but never have I been given Baytril for 6 weeks when there has been no sign of improvement.

Oh no, if there's no sign of improvement you add meds or switch them up. My rules are if there's no improvement in 4-5 days, I try something new. If there's improvement and they are getting better then I let the course run for 3 weeks. I used to do 2 weeks but I am finding URI's are recurring more. If I have a rat that keeps recurring anyways, then I will do the 6 week course and this often knocks out the stubborn ones.

Oh yes, sorry, the long run is to help ward off of infection reoccurring quickly. If it's not working, it's not working and you switch up the plan.

Maple said:
I guess everyone has different ideas and different ways of practise, if my rat shows no improvement after a couple treatments my vet will change up the meds to say a baytril/doxy mix but never have I been given Baytril for 6 weeks when there has been no sign of improvement.

My vet told me at her last small animals seminar it was discussed that treatment needs to be up to 3 months because rats are simply getting sick over and over again. A small treatment only weakens the bacteria which at the next stressful event for the rat will overpower yet again.

Back