Baytril longevity, and baytril/xithro? Boys are sick again!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riana

A week ago thursday Rose was put on xithromax by Dr. Macgowan. She recommended that I keep him on it for a month: BID for two weeks, then SID for two weeks. It's been extremely simple to get into him with me mixing it into some strawberry ensure, but I'm not sure about its effectiveness. He is certainly sounding better than he did when he wasn't on it, but he still makes the 'whooping' sound a few times a day. When he was on the baytril/doxy combo, he stopped almost immediately with that. Does this mean that the xithro isn't doing as good a job as the baytril/doxy? Should I add baytril to it as well?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW7JAN7VuwE This is a clip from a while back of the noise that Rose makes, btw. It is the 'whooping' sound that he does later on in the clip. Has anyone ever had a rat do that before?

How long does liquid baytril last? I've had it since April 1st. I still have a bit left over, and I was thinking of trying it on Guild, who has begun sneezing again. He isn't doing anything else besides sneezing, so I'm not extremely concerned like I am with Rose, but it's persistent sneezing. I was thinking of putting him on again, but also possibly mixing it with the xithro for Rose to see if the combination would be more effective. Any ideas?

My Sebbie does this... in fact, Sebbie looks exactly like Rose. Sebbie has been on and off meds for the last 6 months.
Recently, I stopped meds for about 2 weeks and then put him on Baytril and Doxy and so far, no more sounds!
I think this is going to be an on going thing for a very long time. You will need to switch up meds and even stop for a week or so and start up again.
Otherwise, he looks pretty good, is he still as active as in that video?

Oh, Rose never stops! He's always running around, scampering, playing, eating everything he can get his hands on! He seems perfectly active in every single way! It really doesn't seem as though he has a problem; if it weren't for the fact that that just isn't a sound for a normal rat to make, I wouldn't think there was anything wrong.

You have much more experience with rats than I, do you think the xithro regimen the vet suggested is a good idea? Do you think I should add baytril?

Back