Baytril Doxy doseage - Breathing situation

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegoldenrat

Hello everyone!
So I'm noticing my 2 rats are starting to make noise when they breathe, so I want to nip that in the bud.

I've been trying Baytril ... but they aren't responding to it.

I hear adding Doxy to Baytril is a good concoction, but I don't know dosing. Can someone help me with this?

Here are all the details:

Plum - 1 1/2 years old, female, weighs approx 450 grams
Bolt - 7 months old, female, weighs approx 340 grams

Meds I have:
Baytril liquid - 10% - 100 cc
Doxy - 100 mg caps
Amox - 250 mg caps

I usually mix 20 mL of caramel syrup and 20 mL of water and then add the meds to that.

So I will have total 40 mL of sugar liquid and need the amount of medication to add to that concoction AND also how much to syringe out of the FINAL solution....if that makes sense?

Sorry, it's so hard to type out the details like this.

Thank you SOOOO much for your help!

I want to keep my babies healthy! ;)

-M.:hugs:

So if we use the dosing of 5mg/kg (=0.005mg/g), then
Plum - 450g x 0.005mg/g = 2.25mg drug
Bolt - 340g x 0.005mg/g = 1.7mg drug

Your drug concentration will be Doxy: 100mg/40ml = 2.5mg/ml

So, use your algebra now and solve for x using cross multiplication:
2.25mg/x ml = 2.5mg/1ml
2.5x = 2.25
x= 0.9ml for Plum

1.7mg/ x ml= 2.5mg/1 ml
2.5x = 1.7
x = 0.68ml for Bolt
*Twice a day*

So if we use the dosing of 5mg/kg (=0.005mg/g), then
Plum - 450g x 0.005mg/g = 2.25mg drug
Bolt - 340g x 0.005mg/g = 1.7mg drug

Your drug concentration will be Doxy: 100mg/40ml = 2.5mg/ml

So, use your algebra now and solve for x using cross multiplication:
2.25mg/x ml = 2.5mg/1ml
2.5x = 2.25
x= 0.9ml for Plum

1.7mg/ x ml= 2.5mg/1 ml
2.5x = 1.7
x = 0.68ml for Bolt
*Twice a day*

@Joanne - Thank you soooo much for this information, but unfortunately, I got dizzy looking at all of these numbers. This is certainly not my forte.

Sorry....please be patient with me. :(

How much Baytril do I add to my 40 mL liquid caramel concoction ?
How many Doxy pills do I add?
Can I combine them in one concoction?

Then I'm assuming from your email, I syringe out from the final mixture: .9mL for Plum and .68mL for Bolt?

Please confirm. I don't want to do this incorrectly.
Thank you again!
-M.

Those calculations are just for the Doxy - add a 100mg capsule to the 40ml syrup.
You said you are already giving them Baytril, so the Doxy would be in addition to the Baytril. Keep the meds separate. Don't try and mix them into one concoction. The dosing will get messed up.

As Joanne said, you do not mix different meds together.

Once you mix up the doxy, it will only be good for a short time .... 10 days in the fridge for doxy, I think.

If you mix up 40 ml, you will be giving a lot of meds ie 0.9 ml

If you mix up a smaller amount, it will be more concentrated so you will not need to give as much

Those calculations are just for the Doxy - add a 100mg capsule to the 40ml syrup.
You said you are already giving them Baytril, so the Doxy would be in addition to the Baytril. Keep the meds separate. Don't try and mix them into one concoction. The dosing will get messed up.

Thank you @joanne and @SQ ! Makes sense!

I also needed the Baytril dosage as I don't know how much to give since they weigh differently. The dose I have for Baytril is for my heavy rat who is .... lets just say... much more full figured than these two! :)

Also, I will separate the dosing, but can I still give them at the same time? Meaning, I make them separately, but give them back to back at the same time during the day ie: both concoctions at 8:0am and then again both at 8:00pm?

You guys are so helpful, thank you so much!
:love6:

You can give them at the same time.
They can be measured out and given together if you want to

Baytril has a dosing range http://ratguide.com/meds/antimicrobial_agents/enrofloxacin_baytril.php

Do you know what your vet is dosing at? (mg/Ib)

Some give 5 mg/Ib, orally, twice a day (and some give more), the baytril needs to be really well diluted
The strength of your baytril is 100 mg/ml

If you dose at 5 mg/Ib then:

Bolt would get 3.7 mg = 0.037 ml or about 0.04 ml
and Plum (at almost 1 Ib = 454.4 g) would get about 5 mg = 0.05 ml

.......... very very small amounts ...... after an individual dose is measured out,
The baytril dose needs to be mixed with something to dilute it and make it taste better

hope this helps

Last edited:
You can give them at the same time.
They can be measured out and given together if you want to

Baytril has a dosing range http://ratguide.com/meds/antimicrobial_agents/enrofloxacin_baytril.php

Do you know what your vet is dosing at? (mg/Ib)

Some give 5 mg/Ib, orally, twice a day (and some give more), the baytril needs to be really well diluted
The strength of your baytril is 100 mg/ml

If you dose at 5 mg/Ib then:

Bolt would get 3.7 mg = 0.037 ml or about 0.04 ml
and Plum (at almost 1 Ib = 454.4 g) would get about 5 mg = 0.05 ml

.......... very very small amounts ...... after an individual dose is measured out,
The baytril dose needs to be mixed with something to dilute it and make it taste better

hope this helps

HI @SQ!
My doc didn't give me dosage. I already had some Baytril on-hand so she just said use it when ratties sound sick. But I was never given a prescription, so I don't have dosage.

Are you saying, if were dealing with 5mg/lb, then I would syringe 0.04 ml (Bolt) and 0.05 ml (Plum) of PURE Baytril and then mix to dilute it to make it palpable?

If so, is there a formula I could use to make a concoction (mixture of baytril and caramel liquid) ahead of time, so I just have to syringe those amounts out for each rat from that full solution? It's so hard to type out....what I mean is:

For Ella (my large rattie)... I get 20mL of caramel syrup and 20 mL of water and mix it with 1.3mL of Baytril. THEN I syringe her .15 of the final mixture daily.

Do you have a recommendation of how much Baytril to add to my caramel and water before I distribute 0.04 ml (Bolt) and 0.05 ml (Plum)? Does this make sense?

Sorry, I'm trying my best to explain....but I'm not being very articulate. Thanks for being SO patient! :D
-M.

Back