Basics about Caring for Rats.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have pet rats

• Yes

• I want them

• No

• I HATE THEM!

• A relative has them

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ilovemyrats

See i got my rats about 7 days ago its pretty short time having them.there names ae "Cheasal" & "Peanut" and i know i havent had them for that long but i know lots about them now caring for them can be a bit hard at times but you will get use to it i am already use to it you need to clean there cages twice a week i do wednesday and sunday. you need to give them atleast 2 meals a day one in morning one in night depends if there really hungry and dont have any food in there bowl. you need to hold them for half an hour or an hour a day i play races for Nibble'O treats its really fun and great excirsize and detirmenation. make sure you change the bedding when you clean the cage. if you ar cornsurned or noticing bad things happeneing with your pet rats EG: Loosing hair and that go to a vet straight away you dont know small problems can turn into big ones. thats enough from me and my rats

You might want to check out the various sections on this forum. Some people have more experience than others and we all learn from one another, get ideas from one another, and try to help one another.

Rats have a high metabolism and eat a little bit at a time so it is very important to make sure they always have a good quality lab block in their dishes. It is important that they always have access to at least two sources of water (that does not contain chlorine or floride).

And keep in mind that rats shed, and rex rats often lose hair, so hair loss is not a bad thing in all instances :)

Oh thanks i know i am trying to learn from others more on this site so yea well i give them tap water? ummi feed them Nibblers brand that has like all those nutty looking things.. ? and apples and that is it fine please help me more

Keep reading the forum and you will find LOTS of info :)

We try to recommend a non seed mix on the forum, but I know you don't have as many choices in Australia.

Apples are a fine treat but vegetables are an even healthier treat than fruit.

Yea Australia is a bit like that yea i feed pumpkin cause from the pet shop i got them they gave me lists of foodand thats so i look at that.And do they need anything else could you just write a list of things i should have sorry to bother you

Back