Bart's tooth.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennw

This is Bart.
3217114146_601ae6cd42.jpg

Bart has had an abcess in his face (which you can see in the picture) since October-ish, and it was not clearing up, even after trying different antibiotics. He's also been going in every three weeks to have his teeth trimmed, because his bite has been crooked and he hasn't been able to wear his teeth down naturally. Today, while in for a trim, the vet pulled this tooth from his poor little face. The tooth had grown almost in reverse, starting under the 'gumline' and working its way around his face and coming up under his eye.

This is the tooth!!!
3216258445_ab78f24c91.jpg

it's EFFING HUGE!

The vet said he's never seen anything like it. It's so bizarre. He said "I wanted to put it back in, just so I could go get the camera and record it coming out!!" When I got there, three of the girls damn near jumped me, and were all " JUST WAIT UNTIL YOU SEE!!" It was hilarious. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE that my vet saved the tooth and gave it to me. He ROCKS.

Anyway, this should really help poor Barty. It's almost like he's had a fish-hook in his mouth for three months. And yet, he was still always such a super patient, and the techs at the vet office LOVE him (as do I!).

Looks like Toofer's tooth that was growing up through her tongue when she was rescued.

Scarry how many of us have experienced some version of this ...

Sorry, I'm having trouble with the 'it was hilarious' part after seeing his face.
I do understand CopHumor/CoronerHumor/HospitalHumor, etc, it's a relief to laugh when you come too close to painful stuff.
But owie! Poor little Bart. Aww, jeez I dunno how they handle what they do, you or me would be on ice cream for 6 months. I hope he's a-ok and doesn't get an abscess from the puncture *knock wood - my head and my bedside table*
I never never never want a kid with a tooth problem. Bless you for being there to look after him. What will you do with the tooth? Belly piercing or have it made into an earring?

What'd you do with yours jorats?

Fidget said:
Sorry, I'm having trouble with the 'it was hilarious' part after seeing his face.
I do understand CopHumor/CoronerHumor/HospitalHumor, etc, it's a relief to laugh when you come too close to painful stuff.
But owie! Poor little Bart. Aww, jeez I dunno how they handle what they do, you or me would be on ice cream for 6 months. I hope he's a-ok and doesn't get an abscess from the puncture *knock wood - my head and my bedside table*
I never never never want a kid with a tooth problem. Bless you for being there to look after him. What will you do with the tooth? Belly piercing or have it made into an earring?

What'd you do with yours jorats?

Oh, don't misunderstand me, it was NOT BART that was hilarious, it was the way the girls at the vet office almost rushed me with his news when I got there. None of them could keep it a secret and wait for the doctor to tell me!

And yes, poor Bart. All through this he's still been the sweetest boy, it's so incredible how well he's been handling all of this. As for the abscess, he's had one for months, because the tooth was poking around his eye, so now with it gone, hopefully it will heal.

Poor dude has been going in every three weeks since october to be put under and have his teeth done, so we all hope that his teeth straighten up a bit and he can stop getting them clipped.

I'm glad to see from others that that kind of tooth is normal (well, not the 'growing through the eye part). My vet has never seen anything like that. There aren't a lot of rat vets around here, and I think they have to learn as they go along.

I'm keeping the tooth in a bottle with my collection of other odd things, like cat knuckles. :)

jorats said:
That is not bizarre, it's normal! :thumbup: The root goes right behind the eye.

So, I wonder what happened with his to make it actually come out from below his eye....the vet said it's almost like it was growing in reverse, because he couldn't see that tooth from the front anymore, he thought he just lost it. :?

lilspaz68 said:
Rats teeth can do all sorts of strange things...Angel grew a third incisor. :doh:

yeah, I remember that.

Well, I just hope he gets better. Going in every three weeks to be put under can't be fun, and it's certainly not cheap. But the staff there LOVE him, which is adorable. He certainly gets lots of attention.

And I've learned a lot through all of this, which is always good. :) I appreciate everyone's input - nice to know it's not as bizarre as I thought!

I must not have read that right then... the tooth broke through further into the mouth, in the palate? I thought you meant that the tooth root would go right behind the eye, inside the head. He did not have a top incisor in the correct place?

jorats said:
I must not have read that right then... the tooth broke through further into the mouth, in the palate? I thought you meant that the tooth root would go right behind the eye, inside the head. He did not have a top incisor in the correct place?

I don't really know what happened. His teeth shifted last fall and started growing really crooked, like, almost sideways. He's also had an abscess in his face for a couple months. At one point, the vet thought Bart lost one of his bottom teeth, because he said it wasn't there anymore. Then, when I took him in Wednesday, you could actually see that tooth poking through his abscess under his eye. The vet and I both could see a bit of white, thought we weren't sure what it was, since it was just a teeny bit, but he said when he went to check it out and gave it a tug, it kept coming, and coming, and coming...and it was that tooth. So, it's like it grew in reverse or something?? I REALLY don't know.

You can see how it should have been, here, but it curled upwards and went directly below his eye.
http://www.ratbehavior.org/Teeth.htm#Incisors Had we known what was going on, I would have loved to have gotten an xray before the tooth came out.

All I know is now he's eating DOUBLE what he was before, and his face is finally healing. The poor dude.

Jennw said:
At one point, the vet thought Bart lost one of his bottom teeth, because he said it wasn't there anymore...

...but he said when he went to check it out and gave it a tug, it kept coming, and coming, and coming...and it was that tooth.

This is a bizarre post lol. That tooth is crazy!! Is there any chance that it could have grown stupidly long, and then fallen out, but had already been growing in to the face?? Which is why the vet couldn't find it that one time :?

I'm glad he's getting all better though and enjoying his dinner once again :joy:

Jennw said:
I'm keeping the tooth in a bottle with my collection of other odd things, like cat knuckles. :)
OMG! There has to be amazing story behind that too? I guess the weirdest thing I kept was a frozen huge hard abscess from one of my boys :oops: I did finally throw it out tho...

So glad that Bart is eating so well, it must mean he's feeling worlds better! Gorgeous little fella!

Back