barn surprise

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazyanimalladyny

We were kinda shocked to find them in the barn as usually they don't have babies til late winter like Feb or march ... But we found these guys in our barn we didn't bother them though mom just went out to get food or something so we just put a little camera so we could see them but 2 days went bye no mom the 3rd we were getting a bit worried not just cause of not being feed but there was a frezzing snow storm coming and our barn is very cold (older we don't use it to anything other then storage) so we decided it best to bring them in and take care of them so far their doing well and eating just fine 😁 but we believe the mother was killed by car we did found one on the side of the road about 50 60ft from the barn.. But at least the babies are doing well
b263e41fc733ad4d94e6dcd3d0a48d7b.jpg

Get in touch with a rehab so they can take care of them and release them back in the wild. Good of you to save them.

Wow, such adorable little ones! I'm sorry mom died. How serendipitous that you found them when you did, and not too late.
Do you have an age guess-timate?
I hope you keep us posted on their progress. :)

so cute. They must be sturdy little buggers to last 3 days with no momma. My friend does wildlife rescue and she is addign me on to be able to hand feed the critters this year. I cant wait to do it again. Love seeing wildlife but hate that there are so many orphans each year.

Well seeings I've only been around baby kittens and never baby rats I'm going to say kitten lol... But once they get old enough they will be far away from my small rodents as skunks eat them...

Yes I was surprised they are as good shape as they are in considering I would say they are about two weeks as they don't have much pink left showing but their eyes aren't open yet.. They were a bit under a ounce in weight... But they should start gaining as we feed them every 2 to 2 and half hours

Oooh skunks! I miss working with little skunks :( bigger skunks I could pass on haha but little ones, ah! When their eyes are open they look like bear cub eyes - all button like and deep!

They are doing very well we had to have them taken by a friend of mine that also does wildlife rescue as I had my baby and caring after little skunks and a newborn and 4 other children not to mention all our other animals was to much and I wasn't giving them the time they deserved or needed so I called a friend to come and get them... They are now in a more wild living environment once they hit 16 weeks they'll be released but they are very healthy and playful

Back