Bad year for pet allergies?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carol Weekes

Two vets have told me that this spring/summer has been one of the worst they've ever seen for pet allergies, be it sneezing, nasal irritation, itchy skin, etc. I've noticed that my dog has terribly itchy ears and skin, despite a special diet and other allergy-treatment means. I've also noticed that one of my ratties has an on-again, off-again whistle to his nostrils over this spring and summer despite several six week courses of various antibiotics. It seems to happen when he's excited/nervous (histamine, I'm guessing), but also seems affected by highs and lows in temperature and humidity. I'm just trying a bit of benadryl for the time being.

Anyone else seeing this sort of reaction in any of their pets this year? My own sinusitis has been bad over the summer and many of my clients (I do massage) have complained of sinus headaches, dry nose, full nose, etc..

What else works well for ratty sinus issues besides benadryl? Any other suggestions?

The humidity is causing havoc with my asthma!! My ratties are sneezing on and off, a couple are yelping (sounds like coughing to me), I have noticed a bit of an increase in porphyrin. Had two with confirmed URI's.

The humidity is currently incredible; hot, steamy. Last night produced the thickest fog I've seen in a long time; we sat outdoors and could see it building and gradually hazing everything out. I'm not surprised to hear that your asthma has increased, and that your rats are experiencing some respiratory irritations.

I've heard that aloe vera juice mixed with a bit of water helps with allergies, as well as gastro issues.

The air is very thick and scented heavily with late summer growth. I hope you and your ratties feel better soon; but I've not seen a year like this before either. It's been too volatile with heat, moisture, long spells without rain that cause a lot of road dust, then sudden windy storms that just blow everything around.

I haven't noticed it in my rats but now that you mention it, my dog has been very bothered with itchy eyes, paws, genitals, nose. It's definitely the worst I've seen with her.

My chihuahua is incredibly itchy and has special wipes, sprays, shampoo and has to take pills, that's how itchy she is. My Thumper has a constant URI and Bambi has heavy breathing, but for the rats, im not sure if its due to the weather/allergens.

amanda1472 said:
My chihuahua is incredibly itchy and has special wipes, sprays, shampoo and has to take pills, that's how itchy she is. My Thumper has a constant URI and Bambi has heavy breathing, but for the rats, im not sure if its due to the weather/allergens.

I had a min pin that was allergic to everything and his skin was just awful. Long story short, he had a bunch of bladder stones and was put on the special dog food for that and all his allergies cleared up - it was like miracle food - he that the best skin and the most fur he'd ever had in his life while on that food.

dspch911 said:
amanda1472 said:

I had a min pin that was allergic to everything and his skin was just awful. Long story short, he had a bunch of bladder stones and was put on the special dog food for that and all his allergies cleared up - it was like miracle food - he that the best skin and the most fur he'd ever had in his life while on that food.

Changing her food will be the next step. But it seems that with her meds and her baths/sprays/wipes she's doing well and not itchy.

Back