Bad Breathing in Hazel

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LA

We were home all day and we didn't hear anything until we took Hazel out and even it wasn't until she had been running around for a few minutes and now her breathing is all harsh or more of a rattle. All of it, not sporadic. It's so strange how it all of a sudden BAM there it was.
I am hoping that because I took Pearl in before and if I tell the vet its the same thing the she might just let me come in and get meds. But if not then oh well. Poor girl. :( Why does this pop up late at night. I tried the shower but Hazel just got distressed being around the shower. So I took her out. Fortunately she is VERY active and running around so it's very early.

:(

I dunno why it pops up at night, but I've had (and I'm not the only one) a predeliction for the kids having troubles on weekends....They can weather a tsunami when the vet's office is open, but if they're gonna get sick it's Friday night or Saturday morning... That's why it pops up at night.

If you're here to see this and she's still having trouble do you have some chocolate chips or a bit of chocolate from any source? No cure but it can be a major temporary help in some situations.
Best hopes your Hazel gilrl is a-ok now.

It has to be really dark chocolate for it to work as a bronchodilator and only works to open the airways for a short time. I have heard of people with respiratory rats giving them chocolate every day as a preventative :roll:

Hmm I made the appt already for tomorrow morning. I was wondering if I should wait but Pearl also is making the sound. I guess I should have waited until next week. Drat.

Well, at least you will be able to see if it's in the lungs. It's always a good thing to get them checked. It will strengthen your doctor/patient relationship.

Thanks, I was wondering if I should phone tomorrow and say I got called into work. But then I have the appt I should keep it. We will check her tonight and in the morning and see how she is.

So this I checked on Hazel and she was breathing pretty rough so we made the decision to venture to the vets. We took Pearl along as well because she's been getting worse over the last little while. Sneezing, she did display some breathing trouble. We took Ruby too because there was no way we were taking Hazel without her sister. She wouldn't have any of it. So leaving Lily in charge off we went. LOL

Hazel does have a URI and Dr Driver agrees with me that Pearl is most likely chronic. She said that in Pearl if it comes back I just have to get meds for her, I don't have to bring her in again. She gave me Baytril, and said if that doesn't do it we will try doxy. She didn't give me doxy because she has to order it in and she didn't want to leave them over the weekend without anything for their breathing. So I am going to try again what I did with Pearl and the meds but after the talk about Soy having estrogen in it I won't give them that. Our local drugstore has single boosts so I am going to buy one of those and try mixing the meds. She gave me a full botte for the both of them. So I might end up with extra which she was fine with. So YAY seems like we are building up a relationship and she is seeing that I know some stuff.

So that's that. And as usual all the vet techs crowded around the admire the rats. :D

Sounds like a good vet visit. The vet wants to try doxy alone? Or a combo of doxy and Baytril. I really can't see doxy alone do anything, unless it's a very mild URI.

jorats said:
Sounds like a good vet visit. The vet wants to try doxy alone? Or a combo of doxy and Baytril. I really can't see doxy alone do anything, unless it's a very mild URI.

she got baytril, she's ordering in doxy. :)

Sounds good LA :)

Sorry yes I have baytril right now, if it doesn't work she will try doxy and it sounded like she would try doxy alone and then she said we could also try a combo of doxy and baytril. So if this doesn't work I will request both then. Both Hazel and Pearl took their meds mixed with ensure in the syringe like troopers. They both definately did NOT like having the thermometer up their hiney. She said that Pearls temp was a little elevated. But she didn't seem too concerned. She also said that Pearl looks much better from the last time she came in, she's gained more weight and looks healthier.

The last time we did baytril on Pearl she was sneezless for about 3 weeks, then she started to sneeze again and then started the breathing recently. If this baytril dose doesn't work I think I would like to try Pearl on both doxy and baytril see if I can't get it out of her.

Question though. If this is a chronic thing for Pearl and if I do the combo of baytril and doxy after this baytril dose and it doesn't work what do you suggest. Doxy, Baytril or Combo for something I would most likely be doing for the rest of her life. Which would be the wisest choice.

Question, is it normal for a rat to be lazy and sluggish if they have an URI? I think Hazel is ok now, but yesterday and this morning she seemed like that. I was just worried because the only one I have to compare to is Pearl and she's constantly go go go with things.

Back