Bad battle wound

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roxymachado

Two of my girls got in a fight this morning, and one of them came out with a pretty bad wound on her eye. They have spats all the time but never actual wounds. When I noticed the fight I separated them then I saw the blood. I took her out, treated with peroxide and put Neosporin on it. I realized how bad it was, when I touched it, the skin completely was open. I have her separated into a hospital cage right now, I feel terrible for separating her, but I don't want anyone grooming it making it worse. My question is will she heal herself really fast and be fine? Should i wrap her with gauze? I can't take her to the vet for 2 days. Thank you for any input.

Attachments

• 20180820_140720.jpg
    20180820_140720.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 101
Please do not use peroxide as it damages tissue and can delay healing
Please do not put any ointment on the wound
It looks like her eye is ok :)

Here is some information from ratguide.com that will tell you exactly what to do for your girl
Ratguide.com is a vet approved medical site for rat owners
http://ratguide.com/health/trauma/wounds.php

Please put her back in with her friends because being separated will cause her stress and that can make her ill.
Rats heal fast so hopefully she will soon be fine
If she is showing signs of pain http://ratguide.com/health/basics/signs_of_pain_in_rats.php
you might look into getting metacam from your vet
Watch out for infection

I hope she is soon feeling better

Thanks for the reply, i was so scared when it happened she looked so much worse in person then the pic can convey. So i learned quick not to put anything on it(after the initial application), so when i got home from work flush the wound with sterile saline. And this morning it looks as if it already closing up. So after work ill be returning her to the main cage.
P.S. im a frequent flyer of ratguide.com that was like the second place i checked, for what to do with wounds

Last edited:
I got super stressed, cause it was right by her eye. And when i went to clean the blood off with a qtip, i saw it was a whole hunk of skin that was basically detached.

Back