Back in the Day I Had Rats... (old pics)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cait

Hey all! As you can tell by the unusual spike in Cait sightings around RS, I have a day off with nothing to do but visit with my lovely rat forum family. I was looking through some pictures, and ran across some of my rats I had way back when. I miss them! When we moved from SC to Iowa, I was unable to take them with me, but they all were placed into lovely homes and I still remain in contact with their new moms and dads. :)

But, anyway, I know what would make me happy and maybe perhaps entertain you guys, too. Pictures! Yesssssss!

First: my first rat, Ernie. Who was a she. I did EVERYTHING wrong with this girl... No friend, cedar... However, she lived for about 2 years. That was... 5 years ago. I still can't believe she lasted as long as she did with me, though.

Picture of pictures... G-h-e-t-t-o. You can see she wasn't a very happy girl. Lived in a tank, too! These make me feel horrible, but I won't lie that it didn't happen. :( She was such a nice baby.
DSC00012.jpg

I didn't have rats for some time after her. I (THANKFULLY!) researched them for some time before I ventured with my next two, Sambora and Hendrix. They were petstore buys... Both boys are now gone, but they lived long happy lives well cared for. Sam was the PEW, and Hendrix was the black hooded.

Boysinbath.jpg

Rattiesinewncage.jpg

Sameonslide.jpg

Resignedtositting.jpg

Hendrixinnewcage.jpg

Hendrixandhishat.jpg

Then, we upgraded our cage to the Superpet 2x2 with 4 levels. And the thing felt so empty... I sought out a breeder and found one in Augusta, GA, and my 2 became 7!! I added Luther, a black hooded rex, Isaiah, an agouti dumbo rex, and Gigalo, a double hairless guy. Plus, 2 rescue boys whom the breeder had been fostering, Extra, a PEW, and Houston, a black berkshire.

Extra and Houston, lovable brothers!
BlackboyandExtraFeb5.jpg

ExtraandblackboyFeb5.jpg

Houston
Blackboyfeb5.jpg

Extra
ExtraFeb5.jpg

Baby Isaiah and baby Gigalo. Gosh they were SO tiny!!!
FrenchFriesFeb5.jpg

Isaiah2.jpg

NakieBabyFeb5.jpg

Baby Luther
LutherFeb5.jpg

Big ol Sam and baby Gigalo
nakieandSamfeb5.jpg

Boys getting to know eachother
NewbabiesFeb5.jpg

Gigalo's first outside photos
Gigalo3Feb16.jpg

Gigalo2feb16.jpg

Isaiah's, too. They were the babies!
Isiah2Feb16.jpg

A little later, a woman was loudly complaining about a baby rat she had, and that she wanted to be rid of it. So I took the poor dear off her hands. He was 4 weeks old, the cutest thing you'd ever seen. He was no bigger than a mouse! Chad was like a breath of fresh air for all of the boys. They all babied him and let him get away with just about anything.

Tiny baby Chad!
Chad.jpg

Chad2.jpg

Is and Chad
CI1.jpg

CI3.jpg

CI4.jpg

DSC00001.jpg

DSC00008.jpg

A pretty popular picture of baby Chad... "I hab to wee, Mam!!"
CandIFeb22.jpg

And then it seemed like the family was complete!!

Luther and Isaiah
DSC00003.jpg

Sam and Extra, getting cheerios
DSC00004.jpg

Extra and Houston, big guys now!
PandH.jpg

PandH4.jpg

Sam, getting fatter!
Sam2Feb22.jpg

Is, getting personal with a rat beanie baby
TiptoeandIFeb22.jpg

Hendrix, Sam, and Luther
Rats2Feb22.jpg

Bath-times were very eventful times!
DSC00049.jpg

DSC00050.jpg

The extremes: Sam and Hendrix, my old, fat rat men, and baby Chad
DSC00056.jpg

Lurkers
R3Feb24.jpg

R4Feb24.jpg

R6Feb24.jpg

Kisses for mommy!
R8Geb24.jpg

RLFeb24.jpg

Out and about
Rats2Mar7.jpg

Luther
LutherMar7.jpg

RatsMar7.jpg

Yogurt, and a much older and bigger Chad.
ChadandYog2.jpg

Then, old man Hendrix passed away. Sam was never really the same after that.

Individual shots. Everyone is much older and bigger!

Yes, this is baby Chad!
Chad2April7.jpg

Extra
Extra2April7.jpg

Gigalo
Gig2April7.jpg

Houston
HoustonApril7.jpg

Isaiah
IsApril7.jpg

And here is that same beanie baby
Is3April7.jpg

Luther
Luther2April7.jpg

Big bad Sam
SamApril7.jpg

Goofing off at Easter
ChadandHoustonApril22.jpg

Boysandbasketapril22.jpg

Boysandtoys2april22.jpg

Chadapril22.jpg

Is: "What?"
Is4April22.jpg

Houston
Houston4April22.jpg

Ratsandbear.jpg

My sister and Chad. Both are such hams!!
RiandChad.jpg

Kisses.jpg

ChadandRi.jpg

Then, we had one last addition: Wonky, a rescue from deplorable conditions at a pet store. He had been there for MONTHS, all alone in a ten gallon tank. He blossomed into a loving fatty and fit in wonderfully with everyone!

Talbot.jpg

NR4June4.jpg

Another bath!
AlltheboysinBath.jpg

Awwpoorwetrats.jpg

My trick to get them to take meds
CuteBoysJune24.jpg

HeheheheeJune24.jpg

Isaiahandhisbabyfood.jpg

MmmmBabyFoodsaystheratties.jpg

LutherJune24.jpg

I know it was a lot... Ok MANY pictures, but.. Hopefully you enjoyed them!

jorats said:
Wow!!! You've had some real beauties..
Raisins!!! That's exactly what I was gonna say!
Yup, you surely have, and you have the benefit of the heart-sight too that we don't.

I started out thinking "oh, I have to comment about that picture" then the next one, and the next one.... heck, I'd be at it all day.

So I'll just say that's a captivating retrospective of your babies, and most enjoyable to ooooh & aaahh over.

I'm glad you kept contact with your kid's new people. I think that's really good for both sides, I've always loved to be able to share my kids with their former people.

And Ernie.... Heck, in the beginning my ratties lived at worst 4 in birdcage, and I thought it was a great home cause I filled it with stuff they could fit in and enjoy. Didn't know they liked some space too :oops:
Though I was doing right by buying Walmart pine/cedar mix too instead of using free newspaper. I was doing alright according to the little books on 'owning a rat' I bought. And their diet? People food.

I don't understand it, but they seemed to live as long as the ones I've had since I got a computer and found ratsites :( But they don't live in a maze anymore and I've learned a lot....

Thanks, guys! Those boys were my heart... I loved them all so much, it just about killed me to have to find them new homes... So I vowed never to get rats again until I KNEW I'd be able to have them their whole lives. So I wouldn't have to do that again.

The second picture of baby Chad on the purple towel is soooooo cute, you should enter it in a photo contest. I'd buy any calendar with that picture in it. So perfect and soooo cute!!!

:D

Chad was the cutest little baby ever, and he was SUCH a lovey boy. He was the one that craved attention, that begged for pets and who always ran to me even when they were free ranging. He lives with a great woman named Paula, who also has Wonky, and his new name is Dallas. He is HUGE!! I shall have to ask her to send me some recent pictures... I got to see them both on webcam, and they both are montrous big boys!!

Back