back from the vet with Charlotte - pts

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
Charlotte (Odell Park rescue girl) has hind end degeneration, is incontinent and despite my best efforts has been fading away to nothing .... She will be three at the beginning of October.
Her breathing was laboured last night and I heard a crackle on one side so started her on a combo of antibiotics. Added lasix, sub-Q fluids, abuterol puffer, & tiny bit of pred today as crackling is now on both sides.
Today she isn't interested in food and raced in panic to a higher level in the cage to breath twice.

Insisted on a vet visit this afternoon with the woman who answers the vet's phone as I thought Charlotte needed to be pts but secretely hoped she didn't ...
Took her to the vet who didn't think she needed to be pts yet as the antibiotics may work given time.
So hoping for the best. Charlotte did eat a very tiny bit of egg for me in the vet's waiting room. And Charlotte is still a bright eyed girl interested in her surroundings.

June06SmaayCharlotte.jpg

Charlotte and Sammy in the carrier, getting ready to go to the vet.

July06CharlotteSammy.jpg

As you can see, Sammy is very interested in food.

Getting old stinks! I hope she starts to feel better soon for her sake as well as yours.

Charlotte is not having any breathing difficultly but she has little interest in food.
She does perk up a bit for boiled egg (the yolk is her fav.), banana, and peas.
Her cagemates, also with her, are becoming huge :sad3:

I syringe feed Charlotte twice a day ... takes about 1 hour each time. Trying to increase the freq. and decrease the time ... Also giving sub-Q fluids. Have her on antibiotics and a small bit of pred.

Charlotte is fading away .... skin and bones .... bright eyes and a fiesty little girl ... slowly dying before my eyes ....

July17Charlotteeating.jpg

Pictures taken before the twice daily cage cleaning.
(Everyone in the cage is elderly and incontient.)

July17CharlotteLeahandboys.jpg

Had Charlotte pts today.
She stopped eating most food over a week ago when I returned to NS to clean the apartment. Godmother was caring for her but unable to get her to eat.
Have been giving Charlotte sub-Q fluids twice a day and syringe feeding her as much as possible as she fought it. Earlier this week Charlotte stopped eating her few favorite things ... peas and bananas although she had been nibbling them a bit up until then.
When I gave her peas, etc she would be excited but unable to eat them ...

Today the vet could not find anything wrong with her, she was a bit pale, way too thin, and dehydrated but otherwise in good health.
Charoltte was still full of life, her eyes were alive and interested in things but she was slowly starving to death despite my efforts. Was afraid she would lose her ability to swallow, like Gracie did.

So vet and I had her pts.
Will post a memorial later .... when I can stop crying ....

I'm very sorry, but not surprised. Sweet Charlotte used to be a big sturdy ratty, and she had become a shadow of herself. Even with SQ's intensive care, she was not responding.

I remember her as a little ratty, newly rescued from abandonment outside in a park near RatsForever's place. She and her sisters and brother Oliver loved running around in the playpen.

Charlotte was a lucky ratty girl who had a great life until very recently. Play hard at the bridge, sweetie. :heart:

You made a really tough call but Charlotte's lively spirit will never forget your gift of mercy.. I'm so sorry for your loss. :heart: :heart:

Back