Baby things!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zooy

So we've been told that we may go as early as 33 weeks which is in like 4.5 weeks and I'm nowhere near ready.

So, for you moms out there, what did you find useful and what did you find not?

We've got a jolly jumper, exersaucer, crib, stroller and playpen really so far. But not a whole lot else toy wise?
Did you find a baby bath helpful? We're trying not to get too much because they grow out of it so fast!

Helpful tips?

lots and lots of newborn clothes and blankets. They make a huge mess! I didnt carry either of my girls past 36 weeks. So i was never ready...I dont think you ever really are. It seems like you need all these things but it happens in phases so it is not as overwhelming as it seems. In the beginning it is mainly clothes, blankets, wipes and tons of diapers. Nice chairs for the baby to snooze in because you most likely wont let him out of your site for a few weeks :)

Even if you go as early as 33 weeks, you'll still have time. Most babies don't leave NICU until 36-37 weeks when born premature. I found a lot of stuff we needed, we got after baby was home. Plus family?and friends bought most as gifts. My personal list after two kids is:
Blankets, lots of nb/0-3m/3m sized clothes, wipes, baby tub with a sling (yes its useful until about 4-6 months), a swaddle blanket (since babies like to be wrapped up tight like in the womb), diapers (two or three packs of nb size, then size ones), shampoo and body wash, towels and facecloths, q-tips, burp cloths, stuff for breastfeeding or formula feeding, tylenol and lotions for dry skin. There are swings and vibrating chairs that will give you a much needed break, but try to borrow one for baby to try out. Some kids like them, some dont. Id buy one once I knew my child liked the object. I borrowed one for a month with my daughter, she screamed bloody murder. I ended needing one that swung side to side not front to back. Saved me $100.
Babies can't see much more than 2-3inches from their face at first, so toys are not a must but fun to have. You will be the best toy and thing to learn from in the first two/three months. Also, jollujumpers cant be used until they can sit up on their own, but they love them.
Oh and diaper rash creme, we used Zincofax, so did my mother. Penaten is good if you need medicated. Anyways, I don't post anymore but I figured I can always make the exception to help a new momma :)
And the most useless item you will see Mom post about it a diaper genie and wipes warmers lol

Ok!

Hospital: Depending on c-sec you could be there a week or natural birth could be there 1-3 or 4 days
-Car seat snugglies (those ones that are like a sleeping bag) - we brought esamae home in that and a onsie because she was so small and we weren't prepared
-lots and lots of onesies, sleepers etc as poo can leak through and you want to have enough for your stay
-newborn diapers and wipes I will give you a recipe for homemade wipes that rock
-little mitts for hands and booties
-blanket (they have them at the hospital but one you can take home with you

Yourself:
-pads - kotex (sorry fellas but you will need them)
-water or fluids you like
-snacks (granola bars or the like are awesome)
-food for Mike when he'll be there
-jammies and a few whatever you are comfortable in, something easy they can check down below if needed (they do when you do it naturally)
-underwear - bring lots as it can't hurt to have more then needed
-bag for dirty clothes
-slippers/house shoes (they don't like it if you walk around in only socks)
-socks
-camera
-books for you and mike
-music player etc if you want some music during delivery
-anything you can think of to make your stay comfortable

You said you wanted to pump so pump with you I think, talk to the hospital prior about your wishes

Other stuff for after
-we bought a white plain bath tub and a 'lounge chair' for in the bath, it was at walmart not too expensive
-esamae loved her bouncy chair (lying back one and vibrates)
-play mat was very useful
-exersaucer we didn't use until later baby needs to hold it's head up
-jolly jumper esamae didn't like along with the swing, she HATED swinging, BUT if you have a baby who loves it it's totally worth it
-change table if you get one with drawers then it's worth it, but if you may use it in the beginning but we never use it anymore
-make sure to have lots of change mats, wash clothes, receiving blankets, sleepers and onesies, baby towels
-also baby oxy clean as poo leaks and stains clothes, stains are the bain of my existance
-if you have a child with sensitive skin use baby laundry soap I love purex baby soft
-with a bath a baby only really needs a bath once a week, but some people use it as a night routine
-baby soap - I would go unscented baby soap
-olive oil for cradle cap (put it on at the beginning of the bath, let it soak and use a soft baby brush to massage the head and wash off)
-diaper rash cream
- baby spoons (plastic are awesome), small bowls - for later of course

OK currently I'm out of thinking power. But that should help.

Edit to add:
back massager of some sort when in labour (can be helpful)
baby hats

LA covered everything I could think of....I know the plain white baby bath tub with the little hammock sling like thing to lay the baby in was a huge hit with my daughter-in-law....made her feel much more comfy bathing the baby alone....
LOTS of blankets, receiving and warm ones for snuggling baby
one piece diaper shirts....we liked the ones that snapped down the front...again that seemed easier for new mom and dad to deal with.
Our baby (my granddaughter) LOVED her baby swing...we had the one that was like a cradle at first and then turned into a swing....very helpful...but not totally necessary if you are on a tight budget...

Try to take care of YOU...very important. LOTS of sleep, good food, lots to drink and relax.....don't worry about the small stuff...housework etc....just enjoy the baby and take care of you.

Dahlas said:
LA covered everything I could think of....I know the plain white baby bath tub with the little hammock sling like thing to lay the baby in was a huge hit with my daughter-in-law....made her feel much more comfy bathing the baby alone....
LOTS of blankets, receiving and warm ones for snuggling baby
one piece diaper shirts....we liked the ones that snapped down the front...again that seemed easier for new mom and dad to deal with.
Our baby (my granddaughter) LOVED her baby swing...we had the one that was like a cradle at first and then turned into a swing....very helpful...but not totally necessary if you are on a tight budget...

Try to take care of YOU...very important. LOTS of sleep, good food, lots to drink and relax.....don't worry about the small stuff...housework etc....just enjoy the baby and take care of you.
Thanks guys, I need to find some garage sales this weekend as it's labour day so there should be some.
A coworker has said she'll loan us a swing but it makes me nervous borrowing expensive things like that with the cats.

Zooy said:
So we've been told that we may go as early as 33 weeks which is in like 4.5 weeks and I'm nowhere near ready.

So, for you moms out there, what did you find useful and what did you find not?

sleep
sleep
and more sleep
:laugh4:
as hard as it is not to watch a newborn sleep the best thing you can do for both of you, is to sleep when the baby sleeps!

after that, I would say the next most useful thing is a sister, mother, mother-in-law or other helper who can come in and do housework, dishes, cooking, the huge piles of laundry, etc for you, so that you can sleep sleep sleep and enjoy your new baby

however, this person needs to be a self starter, who will just do what needs to be done without a lot of direction from you,
so that you can..
you guessed it!
sleep
sleep
sleep and enjoy your new baby
:wink2:

other things that I found very helpful:
**a good carriage or stroller that can be converted to a carriage. I used this in the apt when my daughter couldn't sleep, I'd put her in it and push it back and forth with my foot, she was one of those babies who needed the motion to soothe her to sleep. I would take her for long walks, it was good for both of us.
**a comfortable rocking chair
**a bouncy seat that you can set on the table or counter top
**Johnsons Lavender baby bath- very soothing, use it for yourself too as soon as you can take a bath! I got this for a friend when she had a baby, and she/her son loved it! It smelled so good I got myself some too. :giggle:
**They don't seem to use these as much any more but I found the baby gowns with the drawstring bottoms were great for the first couple of months. Very easy to get on and off and very easy to change diapers, just lift up the bottom of the gown.
Back when my daughter was born they didn't have the onesies and all the neat stuff they have now.

**strong coffee, a good bottle of wine and couple of bottles of ibuprofen or whatever else you like to use for headaches, and you should be all set :lol:

OH! heaven's, almost forgot, nursing bras! you'll want a couple of them, they really help relieve some of the back pain if you get really heavy with milk. I couldn't believe how big my boobs got- I went from a tiny little A cup to a at least double D (I forget exactly) when I was nursing.

and you might want some of those little thingies you stuff in your bra for let down and leaking.......and some nipple cream if you get tender, and er, watch what you eat too, because if you eat anything that causes gas, like beans, broccoli, etc,
your little one will get gas too.

ok that's all I've got for now....
will think on this and come back if I remember anything else, it was so very long ago for me LOL

We gathered things while i was pregnant. Things we got:

Swing(my son loves the fisher price luv u zoo one or the ocean wonders one we got used online but it broke down) i also find buying a new one as they brake easy or just stop working, we got 2 ocean wonders then i just said i am buying a new one.

We used a bassinet with Maxime for a tiny bit then moved him to the playpen(we have the type that has the option to put the bed part up) then he went in crib at about 5months old(30 weeker).

Baby bath tub with some type of sling (we had this one http://www.jusonne.co.uk/delux-baby-spa ... 1074-p.asp i know a little over the top lol but i just fell in love with it thought it was so cute)

Newborn clothes depending what size he will come home in is most likely preemie size(Maxime came home 4 1/2lbs) Clement sells cute preemie clothes hard to find used preemies clothes also we had a fun wonderful time.walmart only had oneies for preemie size.Also if preemie we only got a Maxime of like 10 sleepers,10 oneies being it does not last that long.Hand mitts again not many as they do not use that forever(Maxime we never used them)

Baby skin care:shampoo,lotion,power,butt cream

Diapers again depending what size you may need a bag or two of preemie size pampers are wonderful, we hate huggies brand they leaked on him only pee too and he was a preemie still,we did try huggies again then it gave him big diaper rashes so we stick with pampers.

If pumping i herd the Medela, or the Ameda brand is really good(i used the Ameda purely yours one until we found out Maxime was allergic to cows protein)

Carseat they told us the better type is a four point harness one. And buy this new that is best.

Baby monitor get digital the other kinds have lots of static and they bug and you can not hear baby well.(we got the angelcare ones and love it if used right they do not go off for nothing all the time)

Oh and a bouncer might be a good idea too.

Crib mobile Maxime likes the precious planet mobile, i suggest getting a digital one also not wind up ones you will be winding up every couple minutes. he also loved the ocean wonders aquarium when he came home it put him to sleep many times)

I think that is it for now in my head lol

Toys we got on a little later being when so young he was not interested in that quite yet. But it was like two three weeks later lol value village(or any second hand store) is where i found most toys cheap.

ok, gonna be honest, I just kinda glance at all the posts so I may repeat something...lol
I did not buy everything 15 yrs ago, I went with the basics and all was good :)
the obvious were mentioned already but what I had and like was:
playpen
swing
stroller from peg perego
high chair from peg perego that reclined and had wheels
car seat (new born and then older)

and LOTS of thrift shop/flea market little PJs/blankets and whatnot.
really, some items, they will only fit for a week or two!

and even if i had a changing table, i never used it for that purpose, I used it for storage.
I MUCH MUCH preferred the changing "table" that goes IN the crib, I got it at Ikea back in the day.
AAAAAvA5csMAAAAAAJ8M8A.jpg

it was something simple that hooked on the railings of the bassinette, super easy to make, really if you think about it. I just thought it was safer and more practical at night when changing diapers :)

I forgot to put too if you have your baby at 33 weeks you will be going home alone not with your baby for a bit like someone else posted he will be staying at the NICU for a bit for growing and such. So you will still have time to shop and plan out a bit while visiting your baby each day.

Oh change tables yeah that one is neat the crib one, we have the dresser/change table its basically a dresser but with the change pad on top you can use any dresser being its not a tall one :D.

Also remember drop down side cribs are banned unless having the replacement part from the company you need to know your crib brand model and all that stuff. We we out and bought a hole new crib and dresser set because of that just because i did not want to deal with having a recalled/banned crib.

Also like said for a sling for your tub make sure to get a good one you might be using it for longer then normal(preemies are a bit slower in some things so maybe he may be slower to sit up and maybe not you always go by adjusted age for i think 2 years for preemies and not actual age). Maxime is 9 months old and does not sit up alone yet and still needs to use a sling just to wash him then i let him play on tummy with tiny water with me holding his head or should say me making sure head does not go down :giggle: we have this sling now http://www.sears.ca/product/summer-infa ... 4722-08114 but i like this one better http://www.summerinfant.com/Products/Ba ... pport.aspx

Goodluck with all it is such a roller coaster(sp?) ride with babies.

Back