Baby socializing help

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shade

Ok I have another question about my two new babies, Ben (used to be guinness) and Quazar. I've had ben for 2 weeks now and quazar for 1 week. While i'm at school my boyfriend handles the babies daily and spends a lot of time bonding with them and when I'm home I spend most of my time holding both rats and trying to get them used to me.

What i'm confused about is My rat Ben even after 2 weeks of constant handling is still terrified of people. He'll take treats from you but he runs off to hide and eat. and he'll only eat soft food off a spoon for a few seconds before going off to hide. When you go to pick him up, he tries to hide and grab onto the cage and once you're holding him he shakes almost constantly.

Quazar has been handled the same amount as ben but in 1 week he seems fairly comfortable with people. He doesn't shake when you hold him and seems more curious than anything. I can let him roam the bed without fear of him running off and he enjoys to explore people (especially their cloths).

Is this possibly just a genetic bravery that quazar has or is there something wrong with ben?

Where did you get your boys from?

Babies need socialization at an early age and its quite possible Ben just didn't get enough of it. It could be genetics but it could also be that he just wasn't handled as a young baby and therefore isn't really used to human interaction.

If I were you, I would keep on spending time with him. He's still young so there is lots of time for him to come around.

I would suggest buying/making a cuddle sack to carry him around in. They are great for socializing because it gives the babies a warm and secure place to be in while they are out of the cage. They are really easy to make if you have a sewing machine, or you can go to a thrift store and buy a winter hat like I did....just make sure it had a string on it so you can put it around your neck. Also, you might want to concider carrying both your boys around...if Ben is with another buddy, he is likely to feel more secure.

cuddle sack
020.jpg

And just remember, he's only been with you for two weeks. Some rats are very trusting but others take some extra time to build a trusting relationship. It may take a while to gain his trust, but in the end it will be worth it :D!

Good Luck!

Yeah I got both boys from a pet store close to my house. I'll be sure to try and find a cuddle sac for them. Usually when I hold ben, the easiest way to calm him down is to curl up the bottom of my shirt for him but a sac like that would be much better. Thanks!

Back