baby rat lost an eye (help)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indecisive

last night i had 2 baby rats pushed onto me and one of them is missing an eye. everyone is refusing to take it to the vet and i'm not sure what to do. i reckon it's in a lot of pain and i feel so terrible. any advice would be great. i'm also not sure what sex either of them are (i was told they were boys at first, now i'm being told they're girls).

Attachments

• BF65FFDC-7999-4731-8CF9-D32B9A7B3C25.jpeg
    BF65FFDC-7999-4731-8CF9-D32B9A7B3C25.jpeg
    51.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 3B63637D-86CA-4BC7-8A38-EBBD9ADE3213.jpeg
    3B63637D-86CA-4BC7-8A38-EBBD9ADE3213.jpeg
    45.2 KB · Views: 84
That's a very recent injury...poor baby. To make her/him comfortable you can give a little infant ibuprofen to help with pain and swelling. You might want to sniff over the eye for the foul smell of infection. If it only smells like blood or metallic then it's just an injury. If there's infection you will need antibiotics/vet.
I also would advise soft foods for now as the jaw muscles are connected to the eye muscles and it might hurt to eat.

t
That's a very recent injury...poor baby. To make her/him comfortable you can give a little infant ibuprofen to help with pain and swelling. You might want to sniff over the eye for the foul smell of infection. If it only smells like blood or metallic then it's just an injury. If there's infection you will need antibiotics/vet.
I also would advise soft foods for now as the jaw muscles are connected to the eye muscles and it might hurt to eat.
thank you so much. i honestly didn't really smell anything. he/she doesn't seem like there's much pain, although i'm sure there is. trying to get infant ibuprofen right now :,)

it's not really over the eye but more so in the eye socket? if that makes any sense... it looks as if instead of an eye, it's just been replaced with a scab. they said he was probably bitten by an older rat
never mind... he managed to get the scab off when i left him alone for about an hour and now it looks like this

Attachments

• 119076D3-5AEB-41BF-92C4-54589018EA43.jpeg
    119076D3-5AEB-41BF-92C4-54589018EA43.jpeg
    46 KB · Views: 78
Back