Baby Food

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What are your opinions on feeding your rat's baby food? If you do, what kind is their favorite?

I give my rat's baby food for treats. Their main diet is their Martin's Rat food & Fresh Veggies and Fruit.

They love peas, Carrots, mixed veggies, blueberries, custard, Rice Cereal, musli cereal, blueberry puff/Banna puffs (very light and not much sugars)

They love bananas but not bananna baby food (other than the puffs). They hated the peach baby food, and they don't really like any with meat in it.

Mainly for me i keep baby food on hand for older ratties that i have but sometimes as a very rare treat mine do get some, mine like all kinds. But i try not giving it to them as the poopie sometimes gets a little too watered down for my taste >.< :giggle: and smelly too. So i try my best not to give too much :giggle:

Mine get the blocks ( I feed mazrui breeder F6) with daily veggies/fruit sometimes cooked noodles.

I keep my rats on a strict diet of HT and Oxbow. They get their daily fresh veggies.
I do give baby food to my very old rats and the sick ones but not to my healthy rats.

jorats said:
I keep my rats on a strict diet of HT and Oxbow. They get their daily fresh veggies.
I do give baby food to my very old rats and the sick ones but not to my healthy rats.

Can I ask why you don't give baby food to your younger rats?

My girls get squash, sweet potatos (sometimes w/chicken or turkey added), Apples and chicken, apple and blueberry, spinach and carrots or potatos, mixed veggies, greenbeans, or their baby cereal about twice a week and lab blocks the rest of the time. I don't feed fresh, so thats why we keep babyfood on hand.

You can get spinich in baby food?
Try peas (baby food), mine die for them.
You should try to feed some fresh veggies, as they have the most nutrients :)

Ratty Momma said:
jorats said:

Can I ask why you don't give baby food to your younger rats?

Baby food does not contain all the nutrients for rats. I want my rats to have a complete diet and block do that for them.
Also most baby foods contain salt and sugar.

Ratty Momma said:

I'll have to get you the brand names but they are organic usually available in the healthfood store/section of your reg. store :)
The couple times I got peas, I noticed the protein levels were too high so I didn't feed it.
I suppose fresh is better, but I don't eat it myself so don't have any, and I'm not sure how to feed it with the stuff possibably rotting in the cage!
Been thinking about getting a dehydrator for a long time now tho, so thats my other option.

abazoo said:
Ratty Momma said:

I'll have to get you the brand names but they are organic usually available in the healthfood store/section of your reg. store :)
The couple times I got peas, I noticed the protein levels were too high so I didn't feed it.
I suppose fresh is better, but I don't eat it myself so don't have any, and I'm not sure how to feed it with the stuff possibably rotting in the cage!
Been thinking about getting a dehydrator for a long time now tho, so thats my other option.

Feed Fresh Veggies outside the cage suring play time. Veggies are a essential part of a ratties diet. 80% rat food, 20& veggies. You don't give two much, about a half a cup a day ..they love the stuff, so it won't rot.

My rats love baby food. I only buy ones that have no sugar and low protein. Mine love fruit flavors. Apple , berry , pear. They love them frozen or right out of the jar :D I only give it to them once in a while though , maybe once a week or once every two weeks :D

Back