baby food is AMAZING for meds!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clmntine

OH MY GOSH! I am the happiest!

I have always just forced medicated my boys, but this time around I decided to try something knew. As I am giving Baytril/Doxy to two boys twice a day, and trying not to get completely covered in scratches. Not to mention, I always feel guilty after force medicating my rats.

I started measuring out the meds, scooping up a bit of baby food in a spoon, squirting the meds into the middle of the baby food, and they boys LOVE IT! They eat it all up no problem! Giving meds has never been so fun and easy! I will get some pictures soon.

I just wanted to share. I had looked at all the recipes posted in the past, but they all seem like so much work so I never bothered.

I will be trying lots of flavours and changing it up. Tonight was Strawberry. I also got Peach.

Happy rat mom <3

I use baby cereal as a breakfast for them which they enjoy, but my current ratties aren't bothered about baby foods in the jar, they definitely wouldn't be tempted to take their meds in them. I'm glad you've found something that works for your ratties!

I picked up baby food yesterday just because of this thread. Matilda NEEDS to start getting FULL doses, not half-drooled-out BS....

Oh Aida, I hope it works for you!
Jo, my boys go nuts for it! They would take it well from a bowl, but on a spoon they devour it. I have gone through half a jar in like three days! I also end go having to give the other two not on meds some baby food because I feel like a bad
rat mom.
I can't imagine it actually masks the meds very well, but somehow I don't think they care.
I've only been using Strawberry, next to try is peach. I think sweet is better, at least for my boys.

*sighs*
I just tried the baby food- peach, banana, and something else flavor. It tastes great to me. She wasn't interested at all.

Furthermore, I think by that trying to force such large amounts of the meds in her, I might be making her choke. It's very scary, I feel liek I will make it get in her lungs. :C

Aida said:
*sighs*
I just tried the baby food- peach, banana, and something else flavor. It tastes great to me. She wasn't interested at all.

Furthermore, I think by that trying to force such large amounts of the meds in her, I might be making her choke. It's very scary, I feel liek I will make it get in her lungs. :C

Just gave Wembley and Gobo their meds and took you some pictures!

First, I grab the Doxy and the baby food from the fridge, a spoon and the syringes. Get everything measured, then scoop some baby food onto the spoon, and squirt out both meds into the baby food on the spoon.
1477610_10201047142414855_1388648183_n.jpg

You can see the spots of meds in the baby food.
1521271_10201047143414880_565578980_n.jpg

Then its off to the cage! I have to make sure the other three are in the cage, and I only have one boy on top of the cage, otherwise they will steal each others meds and get into a little brawl.

Wembley.
1533722_10201047142334853_1668044644_n.jpg

1506557_10201047143294877_301911305_n.jpg

Gobo.
1480558_10201047142374854_778345960_n.jpg

Mokey attempting to come and steal meds.
1545009_10201047142934868_1527278651_n.jpg

And that is our little routine. I hope that was helpful. My vet gave me Emeraid (I think thats how it spelled) and the first night I tried to give it to the boys with their meds, and they wouldnt take it. So I forced the rest of it to them, and also felt the same way as you. Then I used homemade apple sauce from my grandma the next morning and it worked like a charm! They happily gobbled up their meds. Then I finally got them baby food, and they LOVE it!

Wow! I am amazed that they take it without you stirring the medication in very well. If there is one spot I miss while stirring they find it!

Nope, she hates it. Because of giving her 4 meds(6 dosings) a day, she flat out refuses almost every new food from me unless I put it in the bowl and the other rats eat it. She only eats oxbow, and fruits and veggies now- nothing liquidy or mushy. She won't even take a lick. She will sniff around, then walk away.

Also, before she would only refuse the bromo-- as the pred is peanut butter scented, the baytril is pina colada flavored, and the doxy is pina colada flavored. She would LOVE these- but not she won't take them willingly either.

Back