Baby boys and Pregnant Female

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She has to be at least double their size so she has to be older? Maybe 8-10 weeks? I'm not sure honestly. I really hope she's not pregnant as well!

Need to address the lice issue especially if babies are on the way. They easiest way is with kitten revolution from your vet BUT I don't know if its safe to give a pregnant female or you new little guys with the lice. You do need to treat every one.
Lice will be back - the eggs they laid will hatch in approx. 30 days.

I would dose her with Revo ASAP, and all your other rats. 137 grams could be 5-8 weeks. 5 grams in a growing girl could be normal. It's when the weight consistently increases each day you can safely assume pregnancy. Do you have a body pic of her?

She does not have lice, the two male boys I brought home did but they have been treated. :)

It's hard to get pics but here's what I got. To me she just looks like a normal growing rat? I'm not sure if she has new home sneezes but just in case what are pregnancy-safe and safe for young rats as well for her? Thanks!

2016-01-10 22.18.02.jpg

2016-01-10 22.17.36.jpg

2016-01-10 22.17.09.jpg

Awww no I really didn't want to hear that :-(
Makes me want to cry, my poor girl. She's just a baby herself.
What should I do to ensure that she has healthy babies?

We know your two new boys have the lice, but trust us - the minute you brought them into your house they spread it to every rat you have or brought in after them until you treat them with revolution.

Awww no I really didn't want to hear that :-(
Makes me want to cry, my poor girl. She's just a baby herself.
What should I do to ensure that she has healthy babies?

This is probably my worst fear and I would be fighting the urge to panic.

I've never had any experience with baby rats or pregnant females, but if she is pregnant, I really believe that you can do this Zanya. You always go above and beyond to preserve and fight for the welfare of your babies. If she's pregnant, you'll research and do what's required. They're in good hands with you. You've got this :)

This is probably my worst fear and I would be fighting the urge to panic.

I've never had any experience with baby rats or pregnant females, but if she is pregnant, I really believe that you can do this Zanya. You always go above and beyond to preserve and fight for the welfare of your babies. If she's pregnant, you'll research and do what's required. They're in good hands with you. You've got this :)

Thank you! :heart:
I am very scared to be honest. But I will do what it takes for her!

Moms usually take excellent care of babies .... just feed a healthy diet and keep charting her weight
and as others said, get rid of all buggies but applying revolution to everyone
Your vet should know if it is safe for pregnant mamas
and clean and freeze wood, bedding etc
and as previously mentioned, azithromycin is a pediatric friendly antibiotic so safe for mom ..... my vet phones in a prescription to a pharmacy

some people give extra protein
others just feed a healthy diet, such as a good quality block with a variety of daily vegs and treats of organic grains and pieces of fruit

Oh okay, all my rats get healthy fruits and veggies daily so she should be okay then. I am about to weigh her and will edit this with the weight when I'm finished. :)

Okay, I will call the vet tomorrow for revolution. She weighs 149 grams today. So:
1/9 - 137g
1/10 - 142g
1/11 - 149g

Last edited:
Back