Babies!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awwww cuteness overload, thank you so much for updating this daily and sharing photos of these little beauties.
Keep up the great work, they look like very happy healthy little babies.

WoW they are little energizer bunnies- er I mean ratties LOL

they never stop moving, eh?

the little one tasting the other's tail cracked me up!

where do you get those wooden beads? those sure are popular eh?

these videos really put a smile on my face, thanks so much for sharing them!

The babies continue to do really well! I am no longer syringe feeding them, they now eat their food from a dish which is sooooo much easier for me - although, quite messy.

I have finally decided on names for the 2 girls that I will be keeping. The blue girl is going to be called Tilly and the agouti girl will be Lucie. I debated for a while about the name Lucie. I like it and it fits, but when I was a kid I had a "pet" opossum named Lucy. I decided it would be ok to reuse the name if I changed the -y to an -ie.

Here are the photos from yesterday. I hardly notice a change in them anymore, but looking back through the pictures shows that they have definitely grown. The girls both weigh 16g now and Chip weighs 14g. Chip is catching up fast though - he is the one who learned how to eat from the bowl the fastest too!

I also don't think it has been stated, Amanda1472 will be the lucky one who gets to take Chip and Dale home with her :D I'm so happy they are going to such a great home. Knowing that is going to make things easier for me when I have to part them, especially Chip, he is so snuggly and adorable.

OK enough talk! Here are the pictures starting with Chip.
DSC_0567_zps8eca1e62.jpg

DSC_0570_zpsaaa9bb57.jpg

DSC_0578_zps76df2d4f.jpg

DSC_0589_zpsbf1a7966.jpg

He is so unsure of things when my hand isn't around. I wonder what he is going to do when he no longer fits in my hand. Im sure he will be a snuggler when he grows up, he already is now!
DSC_0580_zps55f1d9d6.jpg

DSC_0585_zps72c2346c.jpg

Next is Tilly, the adventurer. I can't leave the cage door unlocked or she will get out and adventure around. I'm glad she is as confident as she is though. She seems to be the leader and tends to teach the others her bad habits LOL. Strangely enough, she hasn't got tent he hang of eating out of the bowl yet. She kind of just runs through it.
DSC_0592_zpsac5f7f41.jpg

DSC_0598_zps5b07d565.jpg

DSC_0600_zps83b3adca.jpg

DSC_0613_zpsb261d68a.jpg

DSC_0644_zps5d9d4847.jpg

DSC_0645_zpse90e0a1d.jpg

DSC_0648_zps76b226ee.jpg

Next is Lucie. She seems to be more shy then the other 2 and much quieter. She slept for a while in my shirt yesterday just enjoying the warmth. She is very very sweet, but when the mood gets her she will explore around. She figured out the bowl pretty fast too and even ate a small bit of lab block this morning. She doesn't look too well in the first few pictures, but I had just woken her up from her after food nap. She wasnt impressed that I took her away from her heat source - but she ended up getting my hand instead as a compromise. That made things better.
DSC_0619_zpsb8eaa20a.jpg

DSC_0620_zps3fc5e994.jpg

DSC_0621_zpsee771eeb.jpg

Last edited:
Then I had all 3 out together instead of individually. Its much too difficult to keep track of them all and take pics of them together when they all scatter in different directions. Here are the pics I managed to get.
DSC_0658_zpsc569f17d.jpg

DSC_0660_zpsa1a2067b.jpg

DSC_0661_zpsc58f8d8f.jpg

DSC_0662_zps7c1b4def.jpg

Then I tried to play with them with the feather. Tilly caught on fast but it took some time for Chip and Lucie to get it.
DSC_0671_zpse86b7f09.jpg

DSC_0675_zps9f64fdbd.jpg

Lucie really enjoyed chewing on it when she found it
DSC_0681_zps970c7d5c.jpg

DSC_0682_zps5fc18ae9.jpg

DSC_0685_zps8fe83d4e.jpg

Finally, all tuckered out. This was shortly after the video I posted yesterday where they were playing with beads
DSC_0696_zps9ae1cd90.jpg

Lucie gently grooming Tilly's ear
DSC_0697_zps4ab7fec8.jpg

All snuggled in together sleeping <3
DSC_0706_zpsbb7e47af.jpg

WoW they are little energizer bunnies- er I mean ratties LOL

they never stop moving, eh?

the little one tasting the other's tail cracked me up!

where do you get those wooden beads? those sure are popular eh?

these videos really put a smile on my face, thanks so much for sharing them!

LOL They DO stop moving, but only when they sleep.
Not sure where to get the beads, but yeah, they are a hit. I looked them over last night before going to bed and there weren't even teeth marks on them! I guess their little teeth only hurt skin and not the wooden beads

Aww, they are growing so fast. And I love the girls name, it fits them well :)
I am having a hard time finding an appropriate cage though, the cage bars are either too big or the cage is too small, and the worst, most people dont even reply to my emails -.- . I may just have to use the bin cage I made for my three youngest boys before they where big enough to go in the DFN. I will keep looking though!

The babies are really coming along well! What a relief to finally have them eating on their own. That will make things so less labor-intensive. It's funny how taken they were with the beads. I wonder if they smelled like food.

Aww, they are growing so fast. And I love the girls name, it fits them well :)
I am having a hard time finding an appropriate cage though, the cage bars are either too big or the cage is too small, and the worst, most people dont even reply to my emails -.- . I may just have to use the bin cage I made for my three youngest boys before they where big enough to go in the DFN. I will keep looking though!

No worries, we can probably figure something out.
I'll keep an eye out on Hamilton kijiji for you. Let me know a price limit and I'll watch and just bring them to you in their cage then.

The babies are really coming along well! What a relief to finally have them eating on their own. That will make things so less labor-intensive. It's funny how taken they were with the beads. I wonder if they smelled like food.

Not sure. I know they came in a bag with leather string in it, maybe that was interesting to them? They still are playing with the beads which is great!
Its so nice just to put food into the cage with them. Now instead of spending all that time feeding them I can spend that time playing :D

Holy cuteness overload!!! Love the little nuggets!!!

We get our beads here, but our boys have no trouble leaving teeth marks and destroying them.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5059+5648+8596+5685&pcatid=5685

awesome!! my boys ADORE the ones they got from you in their huge secret santa box! in fact, they loved all the toys so much; I never got that reaction from the things I've picked out for them.
I think I'm better at choosing toys for girls LOL I've had more girls.
Never would have guessed that wooden beads and the like would be such a huge hit

PICTURE TIME!!!
These are from yesterday, this time I put them on a stool so that they would stop sliding off the couch. It worked... well kinda.

Tilly, the one who enjoys escaping.
Trying to find a way down to run on the floor
DSC_0957_zpsc8a92a40.jpg

But then she caught a whiff of the girls that I had out previously and all of a sudden, the stool cover became much more interesting then the floor
DSC_0958_zpsc28190fd.jpg

DSC_0959_zps319a6276.jpg

DSC_0974_zps827cc6d3.jpg

DSC_0973_zps21f6454b.jpg

Yoga pose!
DSC_0965_zpsdb849372.jpg

Little Chip was quick to notice the interesting scents
DSC_0993_zps02d02eda.jpg

DSC_0003_zps5c09fb97.jpg

DSC_0008_zpsc97fd885.jpg

DSC_0010_zps9ec644b0.jpg

DSC_0021_zpse51fd340.jpg

Lucie was too
DSC_0039_zps3083842f.jpg

DSC_0041_zps552b19f1.jpg

Then I was mean. I added Dale to the mix.
Dale's initial reaction:
OMG get me down from here
DSC_0096_zpsa3db1048.jpg

They are gaining on me!
DSC_0097_zpsdc75f0e3.jpg

DSC_0098_zpsd89eed9b.jpg

Caught!
DSC_0099_zps8a935ba0.jpg

Get me out of here
DSC_0100_zps30c2d268.jpg

And shortly after this next picture was taken he had jumped off onto my nap
DSC_0101_zps9da8bc17.jpg