BABIES!!! (Not what you think :) )

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatPack

So these 3 little babies came to us bright early this morning...this is kind of a frustrating story for me..Awhile back a lady contacted me and said she was interested in adopting 3 of our girls but after I didn't hear back from her for awhile I messaged her asking if she was still interesting at which point she informed me that she ended up buying 3 cute babies from the pet store because they were going to be snake food....yesterday she messaged me and said that they just weren't working out and asked if I could take them. So here they are! They have names but I can't for the life of me remember what they are so new names are in store for these ladies...I don't think they are more than maybe 6 weeks old but she is right they are super cute..So I would love some help with names and of course one is a PEW but they are all dumbo so this is out first PEW with funny ears :) they came in a little hamster cage so I had to drag my rat manor in from outside and set it back up which I hated haha guess it's a good thing 3 people stood me up while I was trying to sell it.Most of the pictures are blurs

IMG_1271.jpg

IMG_1281.jpg

IMG_1287.jpg

IMG_1295.jpg

IMG_1296.jpg

IMG_1310.jpg

IMG_1309.jpg

IMG_1306.jpg

IMG_1298.jpg

I want so bad to get something a little more convenient...I would love to test run a martins cage but since our budget is a bit tight at the moment and I have nothing else then I have to settle for what I have haha..I think 1 or 2 more DCN are in our future maybe I''ll sell a kidney or something :)

I want so bad to get something a little more convenient...I would love to test run a martins cage but since our budget is a bit tight at the moment and I have nothing else then I have to settle for what I have haha..I think 1 or 2 more DCN are in our future maybe I''ll sell a kidney or something :)

To me there is no difference with a rat manor and a martins both are horrible to clean. the martins is a more sturdy than the rat manor but cleaning it is just like cleaning a rat manor. A PITA.

Go for the cns you wont regret it and you can find them for sale cheap on craiglist or online.

The are very cute babies very sad how fast people think they dont work out, they could not have had them very long :( welcome to rescue life.

I bet that would have a field day in a CN....Maybe I can talk hubby into buying me one :) He has named them.the PEW is mallow for marshmallow the black one is coffee and the fawn one is caramel....Not sure why he named them that way but hey maybe it's a selling point on getting him to buy them a cage.

Yes you do :) she makes our 6th PEW that we have here but she is the first female and the first dumbo one so she is special :) She loves to tickle my tummy..she crawl down both of my shirts (I wear layers for the big ratties) and walks around until I stop laughing and then comes back up...caramel likes well she likes my boobs haha I thought she was never going to come out from there just now but I got some cute pictures with her!

WIN_20150614_003016.jpg

WIN_20150614_003021.jpg

WIN_20150614_003100.jpg

WIN_20150614_003124.jpg

WIN_20150614_003129.jpg

WIN_20150614_003134.jpg

That is too cute! I only have 3 PEW's at the moment and one is a dumbo and my only female PEW as well. Though I can't really talk because I love all colors of rats :)
I just love rats in general though...:rathugz:

She texted me yesterday evening and said once she is moved and her divorce is final she might adopt them back......So maybe that is why she gave them up? honestly would have made me less frustrated if that had been her reason instead of they weren't working out.....She was feeding them dog food and bread because she didn't know what rats ate even though when I talked to her about adopting 3 of our girls I gave her a list of things she would need before getting them and a list of things I would send with them....The top of that list was 5lbs of oxbow rat food...I told her she could contact me if she had any questions...the normal adoption mumbo jumbo...If I can't find the 3 cuties homes then I might as well turn myself into a sanctuary :)

They are cuties for sure!

That is such a cute, crazy age!
Sweet that you took them in....now they can have a proper diet & some TLC:thumbup:

She had them 8 days....that is not even enough time for them to get settled in atleast in my opinion...We had our first veggies today :) the baby carrots are as big as they are almost haha they weren't sure at first what to do with them and marshmallow made me hold hers while she munched on it but I imagine it has something to do with it being as big as her..Coffee took hers and hid it and caramel took hers to the top and started munching..

IMG_1348.jpg

IMG_1349.jpg

I would hesitate to adopt them back to her. She clearly is clueless and didn't listen to her biggest asset (you) the first time. If she can't make good choices then I would worry how long it'll be before they are back.
If the hanging straw house came from the cage they were in, I know that cage and its not even suitable for a teddy bear hamster! I'd quiz her before they go back!

They are super cute! Love me some dumbos! And such a soft spot for PEWs which I only have one of each right now.

Last edited:
Yea they were in a littler critter trail cage..about the size of my travel carrier which is probably what I will use it for. Cage was also something I discussed with her and I told her which ones I have tried that I found suitable for rats of course the CN was on the top of that list :) then I suggested the kaytee exotics for a cheaper option even though she said she expected to spend $200 on a cage which I told her she could easier get a SCN for less than that and would fit 3 girls fine....anyway I am winding down from chasing after my dogs cause the kids let them out..reason #837 why I like rats better...I'm covered in water,mud,dog hair and had to hitch a ride in the back of my father in laws pick up because we wouldn't fit inside and after walking 2 1/2ish miles and then running another half a mile screaming their names at the top of my lungs they finally stopped and came to me...maybe I will go drowned in the pool haha. The girls are still them cute selves today and seemed to get more interested in us by the day though the black one is a little nipper..hopefully she grows out of it...

Oh and I won't be adopting them back to her unless she can prove she has everything to properly care for them and to keep caring for them in the future :)

I gave them some banana oatmeal baby cereal tonight (last night) and they loved it! I noticed the little fawn girl was having trouble holding and taking bites out of the oxbow...could have been a one time thing but is there something that might cause her to have issues? I've not noticed her having trouble till I handed her a piece of food and she dropped it a couple of times and then she looked like she had trouble finding it and then picked it up and took her a couple seconds to break a tiny piece off but she didn't seem to have trouble after that.She sways her head alot though I know the lighter eyed babies have a little harder time seeing than their darker eyed friends.I know I am probably just paranoid mom..it's what I do best haha

Back