Babies not responding so well to antibiotics.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbg

I recently rescued 4 babies, 3 of which had respiratory issues. They have been on amoxicillin for a week now, and while the one who was the least affected seems better, the other two are still sneezing away. They seemed better the first half week, but have gotten worse again. I'm thinking they may need a two drug treatment, so I wanted to know what is best for babies about 6 weeks old? What combination works best for you all, and is safe for little ones?

I recently rescued 4 babies, 3 of which had respiratory issues. They have been on amoxicillin for a week now, and while the one who was the least affected seems better, the other two are still sneezing away. They seemed better the first half week, but have gotten worse again. I'm thinking they may need a two drug treatment, so I wanted to know what is best for babies about 6 weeks old? What combination works best for you all, and is safe for little ones?

I prefer zithromax over amoxi for anything more than mild symptoms.

Is the sneezing congested and wet? Or is it dry, sharp and often?

Azithromycin (10 mg/Ib, ie Zithromax) orally, twice a day for at least 6 weeks is good. It is a pediatric antibiotic
I buy it from the pharmacy with a prescription from my vet

Azithromycin is more effective when given in combination with baytril, so if it isn't effective enough by itself, then see about adding baytril (orally, twice a day as well)

Thanks so much SQ! I will take this info to the vet with me. The sneezes are wet and congested (spray comes out when they sneeze). It was at first and got better in the first few days, but is now the same again. I will let you know how it goes. I am down with a nasty flu right now, so hopefully I can get in to my vet by tomorrow to get some new meds. :thankyou:

You are welcome. Hope the meds help.
Azithromycin is not very effective in adult rats unless combined with baytril (this combo is very effective)
But I have heard that azithromycin is effective by itself with baby rats

It is only good for 10 days after being mixed so you might want to split the bottle in half before mixing.

I just wanted to give you all an update on how it is going with my boys. They are on their third week of Azithromycin and Baytril, which started to work within days of treatment. They only sneeze now when they breath something funny. They are on a six week treatment, so fingers crossed this does the trick. Only two are being treated, as one of them who was the least affected responded to one of the other previous treatments. I also had to treat them for mites, which appears to have been effective. Now I have four very healthy, sweet and loveable little boys who will practically lick your hands off if you let them. I love them so much! Thank you so much for all of your support and help here! In the end, your advice is what has helped them get better! I sure am glad I have a vet willing to learn from the experience you have to share here. She is educated in small animals, but very few people around here bring in small animals for vet care. She said my rats are the first she has had come to her office, although she has dealt with ferrets, guinea pigs, and rabbits. I take my Rat Health Care Guide every visit, and she refers to it for dosages because she says her references do not have enough info. Thanks again, and hope you are having Happy Holidays! (o:

Back