Babies Biting and other behaviour questions

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldsGal

Ok so Thumbelinas babies are 2 1/2 weeks old and they are biting when I put my hands in the cage to socialize with them. I am almost positive it is just test biting as they are going around picking up everything in the cage and putting it in their mouths right now exploring and learning. But my last litter of babies never did this. So I just want to make sure. Also do I need to worry about correcting them at this stage in the game? Do I eep at them?

Next question. If momma rat does not trust you 100% and nips at you can she be teaching the babies to not trust you also? Or if I properly socialize them should that become a mute issue. Again my last litter was very different. Momma Molly was so trusting and loving that she didn't care if I played with her babies and in fact she relished her time away from them and her one on one mommy time. Momma Thumbelina on the other hand doesn't trust me 100%. She is a nice girl and isn't mean but she keeps her eye on me all the time. She also really doesn't trust me with her babies even after they are 2 1/2 months old.

So what do you all think? Some ideas?

Staci

Socialize the babies away from Momma, eep at the most persistent of the nippers. Little 5.5 week old Joe (Mamarat's boy) is being a bit rough with his teeth but is responding to the eeping.

Each litter/mom is different, we lucked out with Momma Molly and Bronny that time :mrgreen:

Yep, mom can definitely be telling the babies to be scared of you.
But I would continue to socialize, more so when mom is not around. I personally wouldn't correct them at this stage, maybe removing your hand when they bite but nothing much more can be done.

Thanks I was wondering about this as well....my babies nibble and chew and lick my hands.......I say "no bite" and move my fingers out of their mouth....and let them keep them there if they only lick........

I haven't been taking my hands out of the cage just taking the finger out of their mouth and saying"no bite" or "gentle" and letting them keep the hand or finger if they just lick or nibble very gentle........
Does that sound okay?

Back