Babies are really scrawny

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zooy

From what I can tell from the pics the babies (7 days old now) are very scrawny. Mike says we lost one last night and I don't want to lose any more. Mom is still feeding them but they are so tiny.
Is there anything Mike can do for them to help them grow?
day74.jpg

day73.jpg

day72.jpg

day7.jpg

Oh Zooy. :( They do look underdeveloped and scrawny. :( Did you say they had good milk bellies when they were younger? If so then its unlikely to be mom's milk and its internal (genetics, physical defects, etc). I wouldn't try to get a surrogate mom and I don't think Mike trying to feed them himself will help enough, plus you take the chance at them aspirating the formula and dying.

Here's the link to my Bronlings at 7 days old

http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/r ... ?start=780

But do remember I had big chubby babies. Maybe PM unglued since with Loretta's litter of 16, her babies were more "normal-sized".

My fingers are crossed for your wee babies!!

The worst thing about this litter is that I'm relaying information back and forth to Mike because I'm not there. I've debated on asking my parents if I can bring the litter up here but I don't think they'd go for that plus I think that would be too stressfull on Mama and babies.

Zooy said:
The worst thing about this litter is that I'm relaying information back and forth to Mike because I'm not there. I've debated on asking my parents if I can bring the litter up here but I don't think they'd go for that plus I think that would be too stressfull on Mama and babies.

You could probably move them just before 2 weeks old. I moved my crew to the R-680 at a week and a half. How far are you from them?

:shock: Wow. I'm so sorry you lost one. I have absolutely nothing helpful to offer you - I've never seen babies that skinny. I'll be thinking of them. :(

Are you sure Mom is getting adequate nutrition? Make sure she has access to lots of nutritious and yummy food - baby cereal and yogurt would be my main recommendation. And check that her water source is working properly!

Also, if you can move her into something smaller - much smaller, like a hamster cage! I've had a lot of success with that because it forces the mother to stay close to her babies and gives them a better chance to get to her and eat. It's not nice for Mom but you only have to do it for a week or so.

Poor sweeties! :(

MumsyRat said:
Are you sure Mom is getting adequate nutrition? Make sure she has access to lots of nutritious and yummy food - baby cereal and yogurt would be my main recommendation. And check that her water source is working properly!

Also, if you can move her into something smaller - much smaller, like a hamster cage! I've had a lot of success with that because it forces the mother to stay close to her babies and gives them a better chance to get to her and eat. It's not nice for Mom but you only have to do it for a week or so.

Poor sweeties! :(
She's in an aquarium. Mike moved her out of it today but I told him to put her back in it. Hopefully he'll do so when he gets home from work.
He's upping her food intake to free feeding all the time.

I'm so worried about them.

I free-fed my preggy Bronny and when she was nursing with lots and lots of extra's. You could feed the momma some baby formula in baby cereal and Ensure if you can get some...lots of nutrients and calories there.

I'm getting incredibly frustrated. Trying to talk to my roommate is like talking to a brick wall.

I've asked her to cook up an egg or maybe a small handful of dog food just to up her protein and she's like "well I guess I could do thatbut I don't have time", it takes 2 seconds to toss in some dog food.

I feel like such a bad mom because I had to leave at the worst possible time and you all probably are thinking "well there is someone who shouldn't have rats".

How long are you going to be away Zooy? I'm going to be in T.O. this Sunday and could go and get them if you want!

MumsyRat said:
How long are you going to be away Zooy? I'm going to be in T.O. this Sunday and could go and get them if you want!
I'm not even in Toronto, the rats are in Welland.

I'm going to be gone for 6 weeks. I will be going up week 4 for Valentines day and to sex the babies.
I'm just getting picture updates, there is a big change from day 5 to day 7. I didn't get to see day 6 pictures.

Okay so good news, Mama is milking and there are milk bands. We'll see what happens in the next 24 hours.

Oh yay milkbands! :)

No one thinks poorly of you at all, don't worry! I know what it's like to have a housemate hinder your rat life. ;)

Good luck Zooy!

Please pray for the babies today. They've been feeding all night and have very full milk bellies from what I'm told. I hope they get through this.

I really hope the little ones make it.

We do not think you are a bad rat mom, it is not your fault she is pregnant. So no worries, we know you will do everything in your power to help the little ones.

I think I would have lost it if my roommate said she did not have time to drop some dog food in the cage. My stuff would be on the front porch by the time I got home from what I would have said to her. But that's just me their is always time to help someone or something in need. It's called KARMA.

Back