Avoiding duty/border charges

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melissa

Does anyone have any advice on how to avoid duty/tax/border charges when shipping from USA to Canada. I recently sent my blackberry to my mom through UPS (yeah, big mistake I guess using them) and they went and billed her $60. I find this totally unfair considering I purchased the phone in Canada and was sending it to my mom...

I won't be sending anything like that anytime soon but want to send some other homemade things to my Canadian friends. Can you guys offer any advice as to which carrier to use and how to package things?

Thanks

I think it has to do with the value of the item. If you write the item is worth $400.. you will be taxed on that when it comes to your door.

I was told that anything valued at $60 or more will have brockerage fees. (very, very expensive!)
I believe that all items are taxed.
And items not made in the US are charged duty as well as free trade agreement doesn't cover them.

Try mailing it to your mom as a gift worth $40? Then you shouldn't be charged anything.
Of course if something happens to it, you said it was only worth $40 :(

You need to do two things. First of all, it needs to be clearly marked as a gift. (And in the case of your blackberry it should also have said "used".) Different types of items are allowed different free $ values, you would need to research it and find out the max. value you can send without incurring the duties.

And never, ever, use UPS or any other courier service for that matter. Their brokerage fees are out of this world! I'm surprised the guy didn't ask you to lean forward to get your "sucker" stamp on your forehead.

Send your packages by Canada Post or USPS and your only brokerage fee would be the actual fee charged by Canada Customs or the U.S. Border Service. They're just as reliable, usually less expensive anyway, and will give you a tracking #.

This issue came up for me a few months ago and I had a nice conversation with the Customs people. If there is a declared value of anything over 60 dollars you will be dinged. No matter if it is a gift or purchase. So lie. That's my only advice. lol

the only way around it is to send it as a used personal item. i think you can also avoid it if its a gift, but dont quote me on that last part .....
but yes. its charged based on the value.. its very hard to get around customs ( i soooo hate them.. they make my job so very hard) :roll: :gaah:

thanks annie.. i dont deal with duty/border charges .. just the shipping ... i get asked all the time what the charges tho, and we are more or less told to call customs and ask them lol... :wallbang:

Back