Avery's man-bits - reoccuring paraphimosis?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minnow

A little bit of back-story: Avery was neutered last month, a week or two before I brought him home. By the time I got him, he had already developed a lump that we assumed was either an abscess or a reaction to internal sutures and he was already on Baytril. He had paraphimosis occurring at the time, but it resolved before we got him to his vet check-up.
Fast forward to now, his lump is still there though it's moved farther away from his penis, and his penis is stuck in the 'out' position again. He's going to the vet in the morning if his penis is still 'out', but I'd like advice on what to do in the meantime. He objects strenuously to his man-bits being handled in any way, so anything involving that will have to wait until my husband comes home from work, and may not be workable even then. I've done a warm water soak in the hopes that it'll soften up the foreskin tissues, and I plan to get him lubed up to the best of my ability when hubby comes home. Anything else I can do?

You really need to grease that sucker up really good. You don't want it drying out. Lots of vaseline, it's easy, hold with one hand, smother with the other.

The abscess (which is probably the cause of all this mess) has been lanced, and poor Avery will be getting regular spa treatments to keep the hole open and the nasties draining until he heals properly. As of the last news from my vet, his penis is back where it belongs, and he's spending the night there for observation.

He's either going to trust me above all others or hate me by the time this is over... I'm really hoping for the former. I can live with the latter if it means he's healthy and happy, though.

Tell me about it - every time the pressure goes back up because the drainage hole gets clogged or he needs um... de-pussed :sick2: I have to get out the vaseline or the antibiotic ointment and lube him up again 'cause it's sticking out.

Poor guy needs a sympathetic girlfriend, but all he gets are the guys, grumpy old ladies who still keep giving him the hip from time to time, and a hyperactive teenager. :laugh4:

minnow said:
He's either going to trust me above all others or hate me by the time this is over... I'm really hoping for the former. I can live with the latter if it means he's healthy and happy, though.

Rats are more forgiving than you think :)

Back