Att: Lil Spaz or anyone with skin experience

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I have learned here?

I learned that my vets are idiotic...but wait....I already knew that... :roll:

I also learned that no one uses advantage...and that ivermectin is the one that should be givin once a week for 3 weeks.

So according to you guys..I have the wrong meds, and the wrong doseage (oh, and BTW...he told me once a week for the next 2 months...I will have to read the directions when I get home....that doesn't sound right now that I type it out....)

So, to
apply that knowledge in a way that you feel comfortable.
is not gonna happen because I do not feel comfortable about doing anything now!!

I am SOO confused and frustrated :crazy2:

(I don't mean for this to come across as rude if anyone takes it that way...I am just extremely frusrated...and I am glad I found a forum full of extremely knowledgeable rat people when it comes to meds/sickness! Thank you so much for your guys' input...I REALLY appreciate it! Now if I could get the F*****g vet to listen to me, we would be good to go!!)

oh, and no one answered my question, and I forgot to ask the vet....is what she has contagious? I would think not as he said she would be fine in the cage with the others, and the others do not have any signs of amything....

If your rattie has mites, then yes, all the others will get it.

I'm really sorry you are having to deal with one of those vets.
Did he give you ivermectin for the rats?

My vet likes to use injectible ivermectin which can also be given orally. She says to do one dose and then 10 days later, another dose and that should do it.

nooooo...he gave her the ivermectin injection, and Advantage Multi to put on her shoulder blades.

Why can't we have good ratty vets here??? LOL

Rattielove9 said:
nooooo...he gave her the ivermectin injection, and Advantage Multi to put on her shoulder blades.

Why can't we have good ratty vets here??? LOL

You'll be fine. You have the meds, just the wrong instructions. She has aready had the injection so wait a week or 10 days before giving her the Advantage and only do it the once. I would definitely treat all your rats with the Advantage as all ecto-parasites (external) are "contagious".

At the office, he gave her the shot AND put the drop on her...so she has already been dosed..

It isn't mites though...it's on her skin....(as far as external parasites I mean) or is what she has external?? :panic:

Rattielove9 said:
At the office, he gave her the shot AND put the drop on her...so she has already been dosed..

It isn't mites though...it's on her skin....(as far as external parasites I mean) or is what she has external?? :panic:

Mites are microscopic so you will not be able to see them. It really does sound like mites and a first course of action for most rat owners with itchy scabby rats is to treat. IF this doesn't work then you go back and try again.

Mites love shoulders, heads and chins. the scabs are from the rat scratching at them.
scabbyWombat.jpg

classicmiteinfestation.jpg

And since mites are always on our rats that makes it even more difficult. When a rat is ill or stressed the mites can flare up. If it helps think of it like Myco. Always in our rats but situations cause it to flare up so that it needs to be treated.

Lice prefer the back sides and near the tail. They are visible little beggars.
My first instinct is mites from what you describe and 8 times out of 10 thats exactly what it is. :)

Soo since your vet already treated her, there's nothing more to be done. Since he didn't send you home with any Advantage you cannot dose your other rats. Keep an eye on them for any scabs and itchiness.

Btw mites (and lice) also like to catch rides on fomites (your bedding, a new wooden toy, you after touching an infected rat, etc)...so you have to be aware of that as well. That is why people are telling you to freeze your bedding pre-use, since it will kill any stowaways. :)

Don't dose her again, but dose the rest of your rats the same way. One drop of Advantage between the shoulder blades. That should do it. Yes, they are contagious and will move from one rat to another, so everyone has to be dosed. The vet has probably given you more than enough for a second dose (if needed) a month or so from now. Please do not administer it before then.
Mites are external parasites, and are arachnids like spiders and scorpions. They are microscopic and cannot be seen with the naked eye. There are probably hundreds of different kinds. This is what the little critter looks like:
mite_AM06_04.jpg

They can cause blood disorders and internal issues when left untreated when they get out of control.
It has to be noted that mites are species specific. You do not have to be concerned with the mites getting on other people/animals in the house.
I understand how frustrated you are with the whole situation, but things will be ok. You really do have all that you need to get this under control.
:)

Since he didn't send you home with any Advantage you cannot dose your other rats. Keep an eye on them for any scabs and itchiness.

I never said that...he gave me a tube and a needle...and a syringe...he said not to inject her, but the needle is to get the medicine out.

I have dealt with lice before....I know about freezing/microwaving the bedding, toys etc. I know you can see lice, I know they are species specific...they are nasty little things...

I will take some pics if I can....your ratty looks a lot better than mine does.

The vet has probably given you more than enough for a second dose (if needed) a month or so from now. Please do not administer it before then.

wait wait...so I should NOT do what the vet says?? Now I am ready to say screw it...I give up...I will just dose her when I se her itching

Rattielove9 said:
wait wait...so I should NOT do what the vet says?? Now I am ready to say screw it...I give up...I will just dose her when I se her itching

Please, please do not dose her again for another month. She could be itching for a long time.
The way these medications work is like this:
1. You dose them the first time, the insecticide kills all the living parasites that are currently living on the animal. In some cases they will also kill the eggs, but not always.
2. Mites and lice normally have about a two week hatching process. Any eggs that have been laid on the animal, or in it's environment will hatch in a couple of weeks.
3. The mites that hatch in a couple of weeks will again be biting the rat but will be killed by the insecticide which is still active on and in their bodies for around four to six weeks.

Mites and lice have probably around the same life cycle. What these meds are designed to do is kill all the parasites that are currently around and will be around for the next two weeks.

Lets slow down, get all our facts straight before we all continue.

We all think its mites and your other rats can easily catch them.

Your vet gave your girl an injection of ivermectin, a drop of Advantage and sent you home with more Advantage?

Ignore the rest (your vets prescribed treatment, etc).

If these are the facts, then you can treat your other rats with the Advantage just the one time and you should be just fine.

ok, I am home now...The instructions say, one drop once a week for 2-3 months.

and yes...he sebt me home with more.

OK, These are all I could get...it was really hard to get good pics of her, and the pics do not really show how bad she looks...so hereya go...see how her fur is thinned too?

P9050068.jpg

P9050066.jpg

P9050065.jpg

P9050061.jpg

P9050055.jpg

P9050052.jpg

P9050050.jpg

P9050047.jpg

P9050046.jpg

P9050045.jpg

P9050041.jpg

P9040023.jpg

P9040022.jpg

P9040021.jpg

Thanks for those pictures, they do a good job of showing her condition.
Personally, I have seen much, much worse and the rat recovered completely with the one treatment given. Within two weeks you would have never known that he was parasite infested, he had recovered completely and all his fur had grown back.
I know this has been said already, but dose all your other rats one time with the Advantage, don't dose her again and check back in a month with the people here and report her condition.
If things haven't improved (and I am positive that they will improve almost immediately) then we can go from there.
:)

Thanks! The pictures really do not show how bad she looks, but you can see she diffenantly has an infection.

Thanks!

I hope she gets better too....but she has a tumor as well, so we will see :(

I will add the brick back...wow, that's all from you lil spaz?? LOL

I was expecting something like, "Yep, that's mites" or "ya..that's a skin disease called...."

:lol:

Rattielove9 said:
I will add the brick back...wow, that's all from you lil spaz?? LOL

I was expecting something like, "Yep, that's mites" or "ya..that's a skin disease called...."

:lol:

Vanessa covered it beautifully :thumbup:

Wait and see how the treatment does. My foster boys were pretty well scab free in 1-2 weeks and much much happier rats :D

Back