atlantis rattery?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that this breeder sounds awful, but not sure what is with the hostility towards a fellow member of the forum. Caeser just has a different opinion, likely from having a friendship with the breeder in question. Also, not everyone finds rescuing to be worth the effort (I have a house full of rescued critters so I disagree) but who am I to judge? So long as they treat their animals good.

Just my two cents. :cheerful:

please read thru the full thread Rika and you'll see that there is more to it than just a difference of opinion, there's some mis representation of facts going on, from what I'm reading

that being said, we need to remember that it's fine to disagree so long as you're not disagreeable. ;-)
given how emotional an issue is for most of us, so far no one has crossed any lines, which is great! let's keep it that way, please. ;)
thanks!

Didnt know about any when i was buying.

Seriously? You posted a thread asking about breeders where you got honest opinions about them and after that proceeded to buy 'dwarf' rats from a breeder without asking on here if anyone knew of any rescues in your area. Like it's been said your opinion about breeders in general is your business so I will state this FACT one last time and then leave this to rest as it is clearly going nowhere....

Atlantis is a BAD breeder and Riot I am sorry that rescues in your area are going to have to deal with their breeding stock.

That was way after i got rats, when i started on this website i thought it was for pet rats not rat rescuing, i didnt even really know what a "rat" rescue was i assumed by rescuing it meant adopting threw the spca, i thought the only way to get rats was 1. petshop 2. breeder 3. SPCA i was fully aware of the fact people where bringing them the way you guys do. sorry your so angry. Everything is business anyway. LIKE I SAID IF I HAD HAVE KNOW I WOULD HAVE RESCUED god damn

Last edited:
please read thru the full thread Rika and you'll see that there is more to it than just a difference of opinion, there's some mis representation of facts going on, from what I'm reading

that being said, we need to remember that it's fine to disagree so long as you're not disagreeable. ;-)
given how emotional an issue is for most of us, so far no one has crossed any lines, which is great! let's keep it that way, please. ;)
thanks!

I have read through the full thread. I think the problem is I don't know the full situation (being a new member), so from my perspective it looked like Caeser was being treated a bit harshly. Like you mentioned though, nothing that has been said has crossed any lines, despite it being a very touchy subject.

It definitely sounds like this rattery should be avoided. :disbelief:

Today I took out the nicest of the Atlantis boys who need to be neutered. Jack would just be a little "off" most times but never showed any real issues...until today.

A bad hormonal bite is shocking and to be avoided at all costs...breeders should not be using stock that become hormonal and if they see a trend in their lines they usually stop it as an aggressive rat that requires an operation to become nice again is not a great pet rat, and a LOT of people won't neuter so these rats end up alone, aggressive, angry and really messed up with hormones. These are the rats that get dumped outside, killed and fed to snakes, or offered up on kijiji to unsuspecting good hearted people.
These boys were very very sweet when they were young and now they are Jekyll and Hydes. :(

Jack bit down on my finger and wouldn't let go...he was making these low gutteral sounds I could feel on my poor finger...and he only let go when I blew up his nose...his mouth by then was full of my blood. I have been bitten many many times but the violence and aggression behind a hormonal bite is horrible, and this one hurt a LOT more than most. No one should have to deal with it, and with all the careless breeding in Ontario our rats are getting more and more aggressive...females too!

I had these 3 boys booked through a friend for a less expensive neuter than I could get with my own vet, but I will NOT subject her or her good vets with being bitten...I took these rats on, its my responsibility to help them. My vet is very experienced.

Sooo who wants to loan me $80 so I can afford to get the 2 worst done ASAP? :(

This is after 15 mins of pressure, 3 mins of cold water flushing, and lot of groaning. I have taken ibu, and used a rubber band tourniquet to convince it to stop gushing. I have now got to clean Jack's cage and somehow get him back in from the hamster cage I tossed him in.

His bottom incisors bit the bottom of my finger but I couldn't get a clear pic of it

Mar%208%2015%20Jack%20bite.jpg~original

Mar%208%2015%20Jack%20bite%202.jpg~original

Your poor finger and those poor boys :(. How soon can you get them in? I don't get paid til Friday but will gladly send a donation your way when I do.

Your poor finger and those poor boys :(. How soon can you get them in? I don't get paid til Friday but will gladly send a donation your way when I do.

Hey Amanda,

I'll call first thing on Monday but they are often so booked it can take me a couple of weeks to get them in :( I'll let you know once I know. I doubt it will be before Friday unfortunately.

Oh god I hope your finger feels better! Bites are nasty my rescue female got me the other day (I think I scared her tho) I don't understand why anyone would breed any animals that bites my family bred German Shephards for police work if any animal ever showed any signs they'd never breed I remember a male we had imported that ended up being very protective would snap he was quickly fixed and became my grandmas favorite pet rats are no different it makes zero sinces to me

I just want to clarify, these rats should not be allowed to reproduce but it doesn't mean they should be thrown out. MAN created them and its our responsibility taking care of them. Neutering (even Atlantis rats LOL) can do amazing things. The first of the boys who was considered completely unfixable and was about to be euthanized until I begged for him, and convinced the breeder to give him to me...was neutered a month ago, and now has a harem he really loves. He licks, he's gentle and he's learning to play again :D

Mar%207%2015%20Milo%20and%20his%20family%202.jpg~original

Today I took out the nicest of the Atlantis boys who need to be neutered. Jack would just be a little "off" most times but never showed any real issues...until today.

A bad hormonal bite is shocking and to be avoided at all costs...breeders should not be using stock that become hormonal and if they see a trend in their lines they usually stop it as an aggressive rat that requires an operation to become nice again is not a great pet rat, and a LOT of people won't neuter so these rats end up alone, aggressive, angry and really messed up with hormones. These are the rats that get dumped outside, killed and fed to snakes, or offered up on kijiji to unsuspecting good hearted people.
These boys were very very sweet when they were young and now they are Jekyll and Hydes. :(

Jack bit down on my finger and wouldn't let go...he was making these low gutteral sounds I could feel on my poor finger...and he only let go when I blew up his nose...his mouth by then was full of my blood. I have been bitten many many times but the violence and aggression behind a hormonal bite is horrible, and this one hurt a LOT more than most. No one should have to deal with it, and with all the careless breeding in Ontario our rats are getting more and more aggressive...females too!

I had these 3 boys booked through a friend for a less expensive neuter than I could get with my own vet, but I will NOT subject her or her good vets with being bitten...I took these rats on, its my responsibility to help them. My vet is very experienced.

Sooo who wants to loan me $80 so I can afford to get the 2 worst done ASAP?

Shelagh, as already discussed, I will send you the money Friday. I am so so so so sorry this nightmare is on your shoulders.

Ceasar - I hope you see this because I bought 6 boys from Atlantis. 2 separate transactions. I call it transactions as that is purely all they are. No contracts are viewed, signed or otherwise even exist. No conditions laid out. At best you are told there is a 2 week health guarantee. TOLD. There is no application. No one I've known to adopt atlantis' rats has ever done or received paper work. Period. I had thought she was great too. Then I opened my eyes. My boys were AMAZING until puberty. Good luck with yours.

you have 6 rats from her considering you said she"pumps" out rats, thats not bad, rats are like people and there are always bad seeds. you could breed two of the tamest rats and still have a bad egg. Now should you breed the bad eggs hell no. Aso ive seen a lot of people have to get there males nuetered when the time comes. does that mean there from Atlantis. and like i said you also have to smack the owners before who sent them to the rescue. Just because the rat has a bad temperament doesn't mean it was the breeders fault there are a lot of other factors like neglect and abuse. Its like buying a tv from the pawn shop than saying its sony's fault the cord was ripped out the back.

Last edited:
Still rather buy them than rats that are already half dead from the petstore. all i was doing was telling people my experience to try and help her come up with a decision im sorry i mad you all mad saying that my boys where doing fine and that i haven't had any problems with them. My opinion wont be allowed i guess. Also if you dont have money to go to the vets maybe you shouldent have taken in that many rats.Rule 1

Last edited:
That is pretty similar to what my poor pinky looked like that time lexi got me and I had to push all my fleshy parts back into place haha. I know it hurts like a mother! It is healed now but I have the scar and it is still very tender to push on :( think it will always be that way...Hope you finger gets better quick cause I know it is a pain to clean cages and handle ratties well anything actually with a bite like that. I rocked everything one handed for a week and still managed to keep breaking my pinky open. But as far as the atlantis rattery...I only know what I have read and definitely sounds like a person I wouldn't want any ties with especially when it comes to rats.Any breeder makes it very hard for rescues to find homes for their amazing rescue rats. I know that most of the rats that I take in will probably never find homes, because for one there is a breeder 10 minutes from me that breeds cute dumbo babies and yes she only breeds 2-3 litters a year but that is still about 30 cute babies all needing homes compared to my 2-5 older, not in a cute phase anymore needing a home.It is obvious who will win the home in this situation.. I am gonna stop while I am ahead on this haha no rants today!

Last edited:
you have 6 rats from her considering you said she"pumps" out rats, thats not bad, rats are like people and there are always bad seeds. you could breed two of the tamest rats and still have a bad egg. Now should you breed the bad eggs hell no. Aso ive seen a lot of people have to get there males nuetered when the time comes. does that mean there from Atlantis. and like i said you also have to smack the owners before who sent them to the rescue. Just because the rat has a bad temperament doesn't mean it was the breeders fault there are a lot of other factors like neglect and abuse. Its like buying a tv from the pawn shop than saying its sony's fault the cord was ripped out the back.
My rats were not surrendered for behavioural..that came later. They left me happy, sweet lil buggers. And they were NOT abused in any fashion!

Still rather buy them than rats that are already half dead from the petstore. all i was doing was telling people my experience to try and help her come up with a decision im sorry i mad you all mad saying that my boys where doing fine and that i haven't had any problems with them. My opinion wont be allowed i guess. Also if you dont have money to go to the vets maybe you shouldent have taken in that many rats.Rule 1

YOU...DID..NOT..JUST SAY THAT TO ME??!!

i took in 5 rats from this other woman, already got 1 neutered, was planning on getting all 3 done at a cheaper price at a different vet...that wasn't happening once the hormones kicked up into high gear...I would not subject ANY friend to this. MY responsibility. ALL of these boys will be getting neutered...If no one was able to help me with the $80 they would've had to wait a week and a half, but STILL would have been neutered. I am well-known on this forum, I rarely ask for help, but I know there's people who will and this is a good time to ask to get these boys done sooner than later. Tempie is fine, he can wait a bit, I just really wanted to see if he and Arabella would be a good fit..the others are an emotional mess and need help sooner than later.
I offered to take in your last sick rat to make sure she got the care she needed....YOU refused, but still said YOU couldn't afford the vet for her, but instead paid SIXTY bucks for your so-called dwarf boys and let this poor girl die untreated in your care...will these boys get vet care when they need it, spending the FEE for them, does it make them any more deserving then your stupidly bought petstore rats? We tell people NOT to buy petstore rats, we tell them to rescue...you would have gotten a well socialized rat, who was healthy...but then again a rescue probably would not have adopted to you if THEY were ethical.

Not every line will carry aggression but a good breeder will stop breeding any aggressive rats, Ashley doesn't care, as long as she gets her $20-30 per rat, why should she? Especially when she has people like you buying her ****, and paying it...

Atlantis rats have been known to be aggressive, and this is what she is flooding Ontario with. I am sure more of the rats I have here are from Atlantis but I can only confirm 6 at this time.

You have NO RIGHT to say this crap. You are a silly child who murdered two rats as is. You're a fool who refused medical care and blamed it on money. Other people here are rescues who build bills and sometimes get donations from other rat lovers. You disgust me, honestly. Your opinions aren't even opinions, it's all just silly **** you spew to try and make up for your crap ethics and lack of responsibility. I said it before and I'll say it again: grow the **** up. Use your brain before you talk and learn how to be a cognitively thinking adult. You seriously need to sit the **** down and learn some basic life skills.

........ Let me just tell you something........., Lilspaz has done so much more for rats than you......... could ever do, you have no right to even aim a statement like that at her! I know, for a fact that wonderful woman will go without lunch or dinner so that one of her ill rats can be treated........... and I hope no rat EVER is subjected to your ****ty care again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Caeser I hope that you continue to stay on here and learn and grow as a rat owner.
Like everyone else you are free to share your experience and opinions, however your experience is very limited ....
and you might want to wait to share your opinions until you know more
In terms of the rattery, wait until your boys have had long lives before you voice
an opinion as to whether their genetics are ok because it is much to soon to know.

While it is very true that people who adopt or buy a rat are responsible for providing for its care, including vet care,
There are a number of people on here who are involved in rat rescue and may need help due to unexpected large medical expenses ....
lilspaz68 rescues, takes in many rats and occasionally will mention a need for help for some rats.
She has been rescuing rats in Ontario for many years and has a depth of knowledge about the situation that few people ever will.

Unfortunately, lilspaz68 has years of experience dealing with rats that were bred by Atlantis rattery and
is more then qualified to speak about what this horrible woman does.

You may have forgotten those two sweet innocent baby girls but I have not.
Stop blaming the pet store ... all rats get ill and need medical care.
My heart is still broken because of their horrible and unnecessary deaths,
caused by your ignorance, your refusal to accept help for the second baby and your callus indifference.

This is a rat rescue forum.
We urge people to adopt rescue rats and to not support breeders or pet stores.
There are many rescue rats in desperate need of good homes and we encourage people to adopt them.

Last edited:
If you're in an area being serviced by Atlantis, there are definitely tons of rescues available to you. I know this because I've rescued 10 rats over the past 4 years. So overpriced, poorly bred rats from an unethical breeder and half dead pet store rats are not your only options.

Pretty much no one is going to agree with you that Atlantis is a good breeder because this is a rescue forum and many of the rats in need of rescue can be directly tied to Atlantis or any of the other breeders that get stock from her.

The fact of the matter is she overbreeds, undersocializes and breeds exclusively for fancy colours/varieties.. You're obviously ok with this because you bought rats from her, but that doesnt mean others have to agree or that your opinion is correct. It also definitely does not give you the right to criticize others who more knowledgeable and experienced than you. I followed your other thread about your pet store rats that died because you didn't get them medical care, so I wouldn't throw stones...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back