Astoria ? - Feb 21/08

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fidget

Astoria passed gently 1am Feb 21.

She came to me from SARS Oct 3/07, along with young'uns Summer, Sumone, Fidget & Sugar. Her sister Harriet had passed in fostercare and she was alone. I had only Kelley here at the time and everyone got on and lived together right from moment one. But Astoria chose her hidey-place as soon as they came and she decided from then on who was allowed in and when, and they all respected that - Lol!

She was older, and not into tripping with them, preferring to stay in the cage, but she got on with everyone and was a loving girl to me when I brought her out (for the short time she'd stay out).
She had a tumor under her neck that started in fostercare in August that never grew, but developed a tumor here under her front arm beginning of December. It grew but never caused her problems. She started showing signs of pituitary tumor beginning of February. In spite of prednisone she went progressively downhill, tho she never lost her sweet disposition and was happy to spend hours on the bed then, she was quite bruxy with pettings and we got the closeness we missed when she was independant. (Good thing as sadly the last week she could not lift herself well enough to get her and her tumor thru the very narrow door of her precious chosen hidey-house).

Astoria was a sweet-natured unassuming undemanding little girl, so much like her sister Wanda who I had from Apr.17/07-Sept23/07. Wanda and Astoria both had tumors removed Jan22/07 thru SARS, but both sadly had recurrences. And also sadly tho Wanda was still with me when Astoria's coming was in the works she passed only 10 days before Astoria came.

So now Astoria is reunited with her sister Harriet who she spent most of her life with, and Wanda who she just missed getting reunited with here, and those of her other 20 siblings who have passed of those who she was rescued with.

I couldn't ask for a sweeter more agreeable little girl than Astoria. She was a mellow joy, my favorite kind of kid. I hate that the PT disabled her in her last days but I'm grateful that she was more willing to spend close time with me then, letting me baby & spoil her because I got to hold her & lay with her and know how truly happy she was inside even in her darkest days.

Oct 4 - The day after she came:
071004Astoria4.jpg

Oct 22 - She looks like a baby here, eh? I like to think she awoke from dreams of no problems, no worries:
071022Astoria3.jpg

Dec 2 - No explanation needed why I love this picture of her:
071202Astoria3.jpg

Dec 9 - she loved the xmas setup, I'd never seen her so excited about anything - like a kid visiting Santa, oddly - for the one that didn't like to leave their cage - she was the only one of the kids who did not get bored in that confined space and want to go home after a short time.
071209Astoria20.jpg

071209Astoria38.jpg

Jan 12/08 - My sweet black beauty Astoria. I love you baby.
080112Astoria4.jpg

Oh Fidget! I'm so sorry... :( It really sounds like she was a great girl... I just hope that we can all be so lucky as to have a rat like her in our lives but know that there will never be another quite like your girl! *hugs to you*

Hey Willow Bean, thanks a lot for that!
I didn't have her long but she had ties to me before she came. I'm reallly grateful that you focused on her as a special little individual, cause so often it's the especially attention-grabbing ones that get known and the quiet non-problematic ones that live and die in obscurity outside their homes.
Not always fair since we've all learned as much from the quiet ones as the poster-kids.
I believe it matters to them cause I believe that every good thought sent to them reaches them. Not that it'll have any effect on their place in heaven, - just that it will affect whether they are among our welcoming party when we get there.

I'm so sorry Fidget... sweet Astoria was my favourite right from the minute you posted your new crew. There's something about her face that just screams love. Lucky for her to have found such a wonderful home and to leave this world having been so loved.
Hugs to you Fidget and the rest of your girls.

I have always loved the pic of her sitting in the hammock, looking so young and truley innocent! What a love that girl was, even just in pictures.

I'm so sorry Fidget.

I'm so sorry Fidget. She was very lucky to have you as an understanding mom and that you had her for that short time and you got to love her and that she now understands true love.

I'm so sorry, Fidget. That third picture and the last one are my fav. Astoria was an angel and came to you just at the right time. She was loved.

:( Play hard at the bridge, sweet Astoria. She is gorgeous, Fidget, and she looks so very happy in those pictures. I'm so sorry for your loss. :rose2:

So very sorry for your loss.
Thank you for sharing you memories of Astoria :heart:
and the pictures of her.
All your pictures of Astoria :heart: are wonderful but I especially like the one of her in the hammock.
take good care of yourself

Thankyou all in Astoria's memory. It does my heart such good to read your condolences and know her life and her precious quiet spirit has been recognized.

I'm so sorry for your loss. :( Someone already mentioned this but she was also my favourite of your crew (no offense to the other girls!). That photo of her sitting up in that hammock is still somewhere in my computer, it's quite precious. It's the quiet, sweet rats that always steal my heart, even if I've never met them.

I am sorry Fidgie (you don't mind if I call you that do you?) but I avoid this place at times, since I "visit" here so often.

Your Astoria was one of those quiet un-flashy souls that are restful to be around. The bold characters are usually the ones that make "The News" but these little loves are just for us. Your Astoria radiated and others noticed her as well which is not at all usual...I am sorry she is with her sister and not you, but the love you and she felt was beautiful.

((hugs))

Back