asserting dominance? or something else?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pscychopomp

Freyja is 3.5 months, Thora is about 2 months, I got them both about a month ago (2 days apart, Thora first). It used to be the squeeks I heard were after Thora pestered Freyja by being so frisky, and she'd get flipped/nipped. Now they make a bigger commotion and her squeeks seem a bit longer/louder, and I've seen a little boxing? (standing up straight in front of each other with paws out). Thora has hit a growth spurt, so I'm wondering if Freyja wants to remind her she is alpha. They still get along for the most part, and sleep together in the hammock, but I feel like things are a little rough sometimes. Their cage is *just* big enough, so that might be something to do with it as well. Someone should be dropping off a cage tonight that is much bigger though, so we'll see.

If they are under 5 months, I highly doubt it's a dominance issue. But when females go into heat they get louder and grumpier and I bet that's all that is going on.

Back