As of 12:20pm Lily is a mommy!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She is all done, six it is!

I stayed with her the whole time....I felt like a mom of a teenager who is having a baby. You know a baby having a baby. She did so good!

They are all cleaned up and now resting quietly in my room. I put peaches in another cage beside her so they are still close together.

I want to clean the paper under her, how long should I wait before doing so? I don't want to touch the babies just yet.

Id wait to start changing anything, usually 48h before I start getting my hands in there. Check for milk bellies really quick after 24h but don't disturb Mom. Let her do her thing :)

Congrats on the new arrivals and welcome to the forum.

I can see why you thought what was said was a bit mean. We all learn in time.

Congrats!! :joy:
Can't wait to see pix.
Don't let the comments get you down.
I got the same comments when I bought my Leila home pregnant from the pet store.
I understand why they hate pet stores and mills, I do too but.....
Sometimes love just grabs you and hangs on.
Lucky Lily only had 6 babies.
Leila had 12. :thud:

So, we are down to 4 babies.....one I had a feeling was dead but had no way of getting to it but while we were out my MIL managed to take it out. We just got home to find Lily "disposing" of a second one.

Lily is off cleaning herself and eating....I was able to see the remaining four and they all seem well, squirming and squeaking away. Peaches is going nuts in the next cage, her and Lily keep sticking their noses out at each other.

I have a feeling we will be keeping all the babies.... :dance:

That would be very frustrating! Do you have a cage now that they will all fit in?

If you have the funds, you could always splurge for a critter nation. I did, and it was the best decision that I have made :D.

Hope that the rest of the babies are ok! Are they all eating well?

Glad that the four little sweeties are doing OK, even though it is hard to have lost the other two.

Not surprised that you will be keeping the babies! :joy: After being with them when they were born, you would have an awful time parting with them.

crumbilina said:
That would be very frustrating! Do you have a cage now that they will all fit in?

If you have the funds, you could always splurge for a critter nation. I did, and it was the best decision that I have made :D.

Hope that the rest of the babies are ok! Are they all eating well?

Oh yeah for sure we will be upgrading, the cage we have now is still pretty good to house all of them (well all the girls, boys will be seperate!)
but a bigger one would be much better. I've been checking kijiji and craigslist everyday!

Here are some pictures of Peaches and of Lily's babies

Just a question......
I'm noticing that her breathing seems really heavy....is that normal?

ALSO

when we first got Max she had a bad case of the sniffles, we gave her PULSATILLA.....well Lilly seems to be sneezing alot, would that be ok to give her while she is nursing?

You will have to check with a vet before giving an meds to a nursing mom.
azithromycin (10 - 15 mg/Ib, twice a day for 6 weeks) is a pediatric antibiotic so it might be ok

SQ said:
You will have to check with a vet before giving an meds to a nursing mom.
azithromycin (10 - 15 mg/Ib, twice a day for 6 weeks) is a pediatric antibiotic so it might be ok

The Pulsatilla is from a health food store, a homeopathic medicine.

The azithromycin....I get that from the vet?

Back