As of 12:20pm Lily is a mommy!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The type of antibiotic is really important, as many drugs will be transferred to the babies through nursing. Definitely get a vet's recommendation, even on homeopathic remedys.

Congratulations on your new family! Glad to hear that it's a small litter and that you'll be keeping them. I ended up keeping 5 of my rattie's babies when she came pregnant to my home. Enjoy this time, as it's fleeting...(as you probably know if you're a mom too!)

monkeymommy said:
The azithromycin....I get that from the vet?

It's a pediatric antibiotic. Usually you get a prescription from the vet and fill it at the pharmacy. The only antibiotic I know for sure that is given for nursing rats is Tylan, and it is not the strongest. Definitely try to keep the cage and environment as clean as possible (should be ok to clean the cage now) to help her get better on her own, if possible. Homeopathic remedies are not 100% safe, so you should consult a vet before giving them, especially to a nursing mom.

monkeymommy said:
xxchelle said:
Lots of rats coming from pet stores are pregnant, many with their third, fourth, fifth litter due to overbreeding at mills.

That looks like a preggo belly to me... Hope you have room for the possible 20 babies that could be born :( Unfortunately that's what you have to expect when buying from pet stores and supporting mills.

I didn't have the intention of "supporting" mills. I just wanted to have baby ratties to bring home and join our family.

Wow, between this thread and the other I posted about getting two boys off of kijiji...I just can't seem to do the right thing. Isn't just bringing them home and having them not become food a good thing? Every animal I have EVER owned was a rescue...either hurt or abused by previous owners.

Don't beat yourself up Monkeymommy. Most of us have made the mistake at one time or another. :hugs: :cuddle:

I know how hard it is to see a little face in a petstore and not want to take it home. I've been there. Unfortunately, it is important not to support the pet store with the sales of animals. That is the only way for them to "catch the bus" and knock off with it.

I have become very popular in my local pet stores because I will go in there and give them information on the way rats need to be housed. I will ask them about the food and water they are giving them and drive their part time kids up the wall with questions about their knowledge of proper rat care. I'm not rude or insulting because I want them to think about what they are doing. Some people are appreciative.... some are not. I don't really care about those who get agitated... they are trapped in their ignorant little box and can't be helped anyway. :cheeky:

monkeymommy said:
At 12:20pm this afternoon Lily gave birth to her first baby....she has 6 so far. It's been about 30 mins since her sixth was born so maybe six is it.
I'll wait until tomorrow before I take any pics....I know the last thing I wanted was a camera in my face after giving birth.

:bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance:

BABIES!!!!

I know... but I just love rat babies. :thud: :heart:

jennifervb said:
monkeymommy said:
At 12:20pm this afternoon Lily gave birth to her first baby....she has 6 so far. It's been about 30 mins since her sixth was born so maybe six is it.
I'll wait until tomorrow before I take any pics....I know the last thing I wanted was a camera in my face after giving birth.

:bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance:

BABIES!!!!

I know... but I just love rat babies. :thud: :heart:

I know!!! I can't stop watching them!

I started a new thread in the chitchat section.....really need advice on the babies and didn't want the questions to get missed in this thread.
will update on there too with pictures

Back