Arrrrrrgh. Why can't Devil just love on Dreamy and Steamy?!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratlets

Devil is still not making friends with my newest boys, McDreamy and McSteamy. He huffs and puffs and pulls out their fur. The latest attempt at an intro resulted in Steamy actually pulling a chunk of Devil's fur out for the first time... in self-defense I imagine as Devil got 3 chunks of Steamy's fur at the same time.

No blood... but Devil is definitely not being friendly or simply just expressing his dominance.

I put the boys in the main cage for a while to run around and play while I put Devil in their bachelor pad. He sat in the corner closest to the main cage and would huff and puff every time the boys got near.

Meanwhile, Ushi and Sheepster behave themselves around the boys... for the most part. Sheeps has an "I wanna be alpha" attitude and expresses it when Devil is not around, but is nowhere near as aggressive as Devil is.

Devil has only ever been housed with one other male before along with his harem of females (yes, boys are all neutered). He was introduced to Kerfuffle when Devil was only a few weeks old. He did seem to display some alpha tendencies (power grooming the full-grown Kerfuffle), but he was never scared or aggressive.

Devil is housed with Ushi and Sheeps... two girls over two years old. He is certain to lose his cagemates, and I don't know what to do regarding keeping him rat company. Should I expect him to be the same way with females as he is with my boys?

Are you doing intros on neutral ground? Have you tried dominating him by doing the shoulder blade pinch? Only do this if you know he won't bite you.
My boy Sebbie is like that too but when I don't let him get to the point where he can hurt, sometimes all I have to do is show him my hand and push his butt away.

Back