are these herbs good/healthy for rats?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scanrat

i give these herbs and greens to my bunnies on a regular basis and was wondering if anyone had success with these with rats:

dandelions
parsley
mint
cilantro
field grass
beet greens

i also give them romaine which i know is listed for rats.

i haven't found much about the first few in rat resources, but they are pretty common to give to rabbits. it would make my life easier if I could give them to all my pets as their daily veggies! this time of year i harvest all of these herbs myself from my backyard (all 100% organic). the squash, peppers, peas, and spinach will be ready later this summer. those are good too right?

also, hay is completely essential to rabbit's health, but i haven't seen it emphasized much for rats. do rats even eat hay? i've seen it recommended as nesting material, but in that case can i get them a cheaper brand, versus the expensive oxbow i get for the bun buns?

i'm new i only know about bunnies! :giggle:

Those herbs are fine for rats. But also concentrate on brocooli, peas and other spring mix lettuces.
Rats might play, nibble or nest with hay but they really don't need it. Adding fiber to a rat's diet is not essential, they aren't like rabbits when it comes to veggies and the cecum.

Back