Are rats getting mammary tumours younger? Pocky's incisions

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

My youngest before this was 15 months old...and I thought that was definitely on the younger side, its usually 17-21 months for me. But imagine my surprise when I am giving Pocky a little feel-over and find what feels like a flat jelly bean behind her right arm. I watch it for 3 weeks hoping it might be an abscess from a scuffle and will change but it doesn't. :(

Pocky was only 9 months old :sad3:

She is booked for a tumour removal and a spay on Friday. If she's getting tumours this young, a spay could be incredibly beneficial. I have never had them done at the same time with Dr. Munn, so I will learn if I can afford it more often. With an older rat, but still under 2 years, I usually wait until it starts to grow before having it removed, but in her case, the sooner the better especially with the spay too. :thumbup:

Poor Pocky Wocky...she's a bit of a nervous lady, so I am thinking of bringing Marley in as her companion...he was a wonderful nursemaid to Fred when he was ill and the girls all love him.

Pockymay26.jpg

Pockyat10momay26.jpg

Pocky-woeismemay26.jpg

Can't answer your question as I spay all of my girls and have never had a rat with a mammary tumour ....
However, I have read that close to one year and close to 2 years are the peak times that girls to develop mammary tumours .

Hope everything works out well for Pocky.

Back in the day... our youngest was 12 months old... which is very young still. Are you sure it's not a fatty squishy lump? My Sara has one, it hasn't grown in over two weeks, just a flat squishy lump, probably a fatty deposit. She's spayed though so that could be why it's not growing. She's almost 16 months old now been spayed since 2 or 3 months old.

I have been watching a lump on my Josie for over 3 weeks now, it is right behind her right front leg. She is about 16-17 months. My first tumor to worry about.

The tumour is teeny (small jellybelly sized..those are those specialty jellybeans right?), and she and Marley (her companion) got dropped off at 9:30 this morning.

Now its just the wait and carry the phone with me from room to room. :lol:

Moon said:
LOL, do you actually have to carry the phone with you?

Crossing fingers for the Pockster.

Hahaha. no, but mine only gives me 3 rings and goes into the machine, so its better if it comes with me from room to room. Gotta love cordless!! :cheeky:

I just called the clinic, and spoke to Christine who was in the operating room. She said it looked like a teeny tumour to me (but I'll ask later on if I remember), not a fatty lipoma. It was well encapsulated and popped out easily and her spay was good. BUT little Pocky is taking an unusually long time to come out of the anesthetic. At this point she cannot come home, but I will call about 5 pm, and see where she is then. :sad3:

I woke up at 3 am, and gave Pocky a small dose of metacam (.08cc) since I could tell she was a bit tense and possibly starting to cramp. It was over 12 hours after surgery and I often evaluate my surgical patients at this time. Most don't need it but I always prefer to stay on top of pain rather than chase it.

This morning she was crashed out but I woke her up, got her some baby cereal and took pics...she's snoozing again, and healing which is what I want. :thumbup:

Teeny tiny tumour removed very easily
Pockystumourremovaldayaftermay30.jpg

Chubby little belly, small spay incision
Pockysspayincisiondayafter2may30.jpg

Bright eyes
Pockysspayincisiondayaftermay30.jpg

:joy:

"why are you taking pictures of by owies?" hehe she's adorable. I'm so glad she came out of it fine.

Back