Appropriate Lab Blocks

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazy rat lady

So I'm crazy in love with my ratties. to the point i decide that i'll never get another kind of pet unless they get along very well with my ratties.
but i'm still kind new to the community.
I live in Etobicoke and dont drive
So i'm wondering where wuold be accessible to me so that i can get some good lab blocks and beddings.
I know there are probably some topics on this alreayd and i ran a search but found nothing.
So please help me out here.

or if anybody know any online stores that i can order from
also, i'm looking for a big cage, and i heard buying them from the pet store is a bad idea cuz i am then supporting the demand, hence the supply,
so in that case where should i go get my cages other than looking on kijiji or ebay?

Thanks

This is a thread where people have posted different pet supply stores they go to, both on and offline: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12392&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Rat friendly bedding (Carefresh, Yesterday's News, aspen shavings) is available from many pet store and even some supermarkets and big box stores.

Healthy/good quality lab blocks are harder to find, many are discussed/compared in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12402

Some of the more popular ones:

I used to get my Oxbow Regal Rat from my vet at the Greenwood Park Animal Hospital, but many rats aren't thrilled by the taste and the east end is likely not the closest location to you.

Harland Tekland is available from U of G and perhaps there are other members that buy large bags (I believe they're only packaged in 10 lb. bags) and would like to split it.

There's Mazuri 6F... the only place I know that may have it is the pet supply store lilspaz suggested... viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16296&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=pet+supply
(it's also in the east end though)

And there's also hamster extrusion (made by Living World, I believe) - it's widely available at pet stores.

Happy hunting!

I moved this to a better forum... sort of.

Pet Valu might be your best bet in terms of being local, they carry the Hamster Extrusion blocks which are good for rats. They also carry Mews Print, which is a great pelleted paper bedding.

If you can get someone to drive you, go to Ren's!

It's on the corner of Burnhamthorpe and Trafalger Rd., right on the outskirts of Mississauga. They have the best prices on bedding, you can buy re-packed Mazuri 6F in 5 and 10 pound bags and they have a good selection of cages. They don't sell animals there, they just supply everything you need for them. The prices are unbeatable and the staff are great! I buy my stuff there and I live in Barrie - it's worth the time and the gas to me.

I would shop where ever is most convenient for you. I shop at them all. I find different stores carry different items for different animals. I don't purchase any animals from any petstores therefore I just feel I'm not supporting the sale of them, but all in all my critters need goodies, so whatever store carries the best goodies for that specific animal.......thats who gets my sale.

Maybe I'll go to Guelph, or i'll check out the east end.
The other day i found Regals at the THS when was there adopting my ratties. lol. But it's $13 per 3 lbs, is that expensive?

Yesterdays News or Blankets I found to be the best for bedding. Make sure you freeze bedding for 24 hours befor using, as it carries lice.

Also for food, I don't used blocks I use Martins Rat food.

And the is a really good site you can ordercages off of its http://www.martinscages.com/.

Prime654 said:
University of Guelph's price for Harlan Teklad 2014:

33 lbs for $21.00
10 lbs for $11.00

http://www.uoguelph.ca/research/caf/pet ... ndex.shtml

Just note with UoG that they are only open during regular business hours- Monday to Friday 8:30 to 4:30 I think it is which can be a pain and also it has to be ordered ahead of time. It would suck if you drove all the way to Guelph and then end up not getting the food for a silly reason.

Prime654 said:
smilez_n_hugs said:
Marylou said:
That is a great price, do you need a student or staff/faculty to purchase it???

Nope :thumbup:

Also, thats in CAD dollars, so it is a really good price. Unfotuately, for those not in the area it is pick up only, they won't deliver.
I thought I saw where someone was paying 13 dollars for like 3 pounds, so this is a good price, I have my own source here in Milwaukee :0)

crazy rat lady said:
Maybe I'll go to Guelph, or i'll check out the east end.
The other day i found Regals at the THS when was there adopting my ratties. lol. But it's $13 per 3 lbs, is that expensive?
Regal rat is pretty expensive, but other stuff can be tricky to come by. Good to know where to get the RR in a pinch, though!

Back