Anyone happen to know anything about baby birds?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatPack

So 10 days ago my daughter found a fallen bird nest and though we tried to figure out where it fell from and no one came to claim it then we brought them in and put the heating lamp from the crab tank over them....I did not expect any of these guys to hatch and one I knew for sure wouldn't because it was damage either before or during the fall..the other 3 were up in the air...so one egg was a dud and another little guy died trying to hatch and the other egg was showing no signs of hatching them bam was standing in the kitchen with my husband and daughter and he started busting out of the egg :) so now we are on hour 6 I believe since he hatched and I have been feeding him(I fail horrible at hitting his mouth with the food) a recipe I found online for baby house sparrows which is what it is of course and trying my bestest to keep him warm though I am failing at that as well...anyway it is 5am and I am pretty sure he is actually going to bed now so must have his days and nights mixed up and I am tired because I have been up playing momma bird....How I manage to keep this little guy alive and take care of 21 rats and 2 human children and 2 need dog children I do not know haha I might demand a vacation soon..Ok we are up and ready for more food....:darn:

Not that I have seen or heard of and the one place I thought I found which was wildlife control or something of that sort (because I have had an hour sleep) the website was confusing but what I made sense of out of all the stupid links and jiberish was that they only take bears,bats,woodpeckers and something else I can't remember the last one...I will definitely keep looking for somewhere that actually knows what they are doing but until then I will fake it till we make it! Here is baby with a full tummy :) makes me smile because he is doing his frantic open mouth thing while I am feeding him and then as soon as he is full (gonna be funny if this is a girl) he just lays back in my hand like oh man that was delicious!

IMG_4514.jpg

just did a search for wildlife rehabbers in your area, and found this curious statement- WV "Does not permit rehabilitation of state wildlife."

what does that mean? you've got so much wildlife that any that are injured, etc are expendable?
that's depressing

there is a number to call but I don't know if it will help much-
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Division of Natural Resources[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Building 74
324 Fourth Ave
South Charleston, WV 25303
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](304) 558-2754[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I've done a lot of searches for wildlife rehabbers all over the US and I gotta say, your state's listing are terribly confusing. It really does seem like there is no one who is allowed to rehab wildlife.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I'm geographically challenged by if you are near another state it might help to call them and see if you can find a rehabber who is willing to talk you thru this.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]hmm let me go check a map and see what I can find[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

ok Ohio isn't too far, but so far most of the bird rehabbers do songbirds and i'm pretty sure a house sparrow isn't considered a song bird (is it?)

but I got some phone numbers of ppl who might be able to give you some ideas, don't know if you can afford to call out of the state, but I'll PM you the numbers ok

Yes WV is a pretty heartless state believe it or not....So doesn't surprise me that it says that haha...We had our first poop earlier! YAY!! :) So I will take that as a good sign that everything is working ok going in and coming out hehe. As soon as I hunt my phone down I will call those numbers you gave me...

Back