Anyone ever been a guide/pathfinder leader?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zooy

There was a piece in our volunteer section of the local paper looking for pathfinder leader volunteers. I've been looking for something extra to do since Mike will now be home 5-7 nights a week (before it was 2) and I thought this would be a great way to get out there and involved.
http://www.girlguides.ca/pathfinders

This would be the group I'd be a leader for, girls aged 12-14. Does anyone have experience with this?

I had a blast being co-leader when my daughter was this age! But it was SO long ago, like 20 years, and we lived in Germany then.

One thing we did with our girls was take them on tours. One tour was a brewery. Yup, for beer. I remember it smelled like very old cooked broccoli. And after the tour the girls all got a sample. Not of beer, but of ginger beer. The brewery not only made beer, they also made ginger beer.

We also visited some old castles, cemeteries, and plays. The plays were in German, and not many of us understood ALL that was said, but it was still very fun and interesting. Just have fun with it!

I was a girlguide as a child. I learned a LOT of useful things, and had loads of fun! I really enjoyed the large-scale camp weekends, and how everyone seemed to get along.

Mostly I think in that age group, if you want to be in girl guides, you are relatively like-minded to the rest of the group, so there's even less bickering than with normal groups of teenaged girls!

I think it's a wonderful thing for you to do Zooy. I'm all for it :thumbup:

My boyfriend's mum was a leady when her daughters were guides.
All the stories she's ever told me have been great, about how much fun she had with the girls.. teaching them and such!
Now I have also heard some not-so-great things from her.. but they were about other women leaders who were mean and stuff.. but I think every group/club has those problems!

Well, first of all, don't do it if you don't like kids. LOL ;)

My mom enjoyed being a guide leader when I was in guides. I hated that she was there, but that was my cross to bare, not hers.

I was never a leader but when I was young I did the entire Brownie and Guide program and loved it! You should do it. It'd be a lot of fun!

Thumbs up to you Zooy, volunteering is a wonderful thing and such a good feeling knowing you have made someones day.

Moon said:
Well, first of all, don't do it if you don't like kids. LOL ;)

My mom enjoyed being a guide leader when I was in guides. I hated that she was there, but that was my cross to bare, not hers.
LOL I don't have kids yet so I think I'm good there! Maybe this will ward off the stupid baby fever Cait has given me.

I really want to volunteer, just waiting for the lady to call me back. I wonder if maybe she's on holidays.

Trust me a bunch of 12-14 year old girls will make you wish they were all babies. LMAO.

But I think it would be fun!! :D

i was in guides for almost ten years (from sparks to pathfinders lol), and i probably would have become a leader if i had not moved... i'd say go for it! you get to do cool stuff!

So apparently they were really desperate! I'm a pathfinder leader... no criminal check or anything, I could be a hidden criminal lol
There is only 3 pathfinders in my group and 2 of them are really close to finishing their highest badge or something.
So it'll be fun! I get to do my first meeting on Wednesday!

So I had my first meeting tonight, my girls weren't there so I stuck around and helped out with the girl guides.
Holy energy. They were off the walls... guess thats girls aged 9-12!

Zooy said:
So apparently they were really desperate! I'm a pathfinder leader... no criminal check or anything, I could be a hidden criminal lol
There is only 3 pathfinders in my group and 2 of them are really close to finishing their highest badge or something.

Wow that is very scary :shock: Scary stuff for parents to know.

lilangel said:
Zooy said:

Wow that is very scary :shock: Scary stuff for parents to know.
I will be filling out the paperwork next week and getting my criminal check. Don't worry.

Back