Anybody travelled on the train with rats before>?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratsr4life

Well, i dont think ill be getting a rideshare, so i will be travelling on the train.

I will be phoning up the company and asking the same questions i will ask here, to them. I would just like to hear your opinions...

I will be getting on three different trains. Travel starts 8am and ends 7am the next day. I bought the small crate (30cm high) and 4 rats will be travelling.

Are you allowed to tend to the rats whenever you want? When can you see them?
Does the staff transfer your extra luggage and rats to the next train, or do you have to do all of that?
What food would you suggest for the rats during travel?
Do you suggest covering the door of the crate so it is darker inside?
What do you suggest during the hot hours?
Any tips?

I have two large rats, one year old, iam not worried about them at all, they are spayed and very laid back, nothing seems to bother them. I have adopted two sisters, both skittish, 4months old. Anything natural they can eat or smell to calm them down?

(Inside the crate i will have a hammock set up, water bottle, blanket and if there is room, a little cave so they feel more safe. I have pelleted feed, i think its the feed eveyone here says is good. I usually feed them homemade mix and fresh fruit/veg.)

Can you tell iam a worried mother? :panic: :wink:

I have never traveled in a train with rats but I have seen someone use the Greyhound with them. She kept them hidden, but she tended to them when need be.
I think your rats will be just fine, even the skittish ones. They will bond with the older girls because it's scary and they will need the others to help them feel secure. I would not give them any veggies, just blocks because at this time you don't want them pooping up too much. I would line the crate with newspaper and fleece. Also, if you can, bring extra so you can change it up.
I'd be interested to know what the train people tell you too.

I would carry water so you can refill their bottles.
I would also make sure they have at least two water bottles because sometimes water bottles stop working. Rats overheat and die so hydration is very important.

Whenever I travel with rats (I have never gone by train), I give them a dish of melon such as water melon (in addition to food) to help keep them hydrated during the trip. I usually have extra in a cooler so I can change the melon when it gets yucky or add some if it is emptied. Can't remember if watermelon seeds are ok or not ... I always dig them out if not seedless.

I don't believe rats, or other pets for that matter, are allowed on the bus or train. I have snuck my girls on the bus before, and the train probably wouldn't be difficult either. Just keep them hidden. I used a small container with holes in it, and put it in a reusable shopping bag. As SQ suggested, you'll want to keep them hydrated, especially on a longer trip. You'll also have to make sure it's not too hot or cold out and be prepared to change your plans according to their needs. Where are you taking them?

via rail do allow rats to travel, just not in the passenger car. I remember the 'rat train' from moncton to ontario was set up.

They said the staff move the cage to each train you get on, in between stations iam allowed to tend to them.

I dont think they would need two water bottles, they will only be there for a day, and one water bottle lasts them 3days.

I think iam going to line the cage with super absorbant fabric (its meant for bird cages and soaks up any moisture.) and underneath that a blanket, so they dont get amonia build up. I will also give them a shoe box to hide under and extra bedding to snuggle into.

Ill give them the pellets, but i too, am a little worried about water intake, what if they are too scared to take a drink? So ill supply them with grapes as well.

Iam travelling from london ontario, to bathurst new brunswick. it is a 23h45min ride. i will be staying with my family for a few months, i cant find anyone who would properly take care of them for that long...or i dont trust them.

Rats could go 36 hours with no food or water before it becomes detrimental to their health... according to my vet.
It's doable, especially if you are staying there for a few months.

jorats said:
Rats could go 36 hours with no food or water before it becomes detrimental to their health... according to my vet.
It's doable, especially if you are staying there for a few months.

Yes i forgot rats are hardy creatures. I think they will be fine, thanks for the tips everyone!!

The reason for 2 water bottles is in case one stops working or something happens to it.
Rats die in their cages every summer because their water bottle is empty or because it clogs up and they can't get any water out of it. It is important to always have at least 2 sources of water for caged pets. This is especially true when it is hot.

Grapes are a good idea.

SQ said:
The reason for 2 water bottles is in case one stops working or something happens to it.
Rats die in their cages every summer because their water bottle is empty or because it clogs up and they can't get any water out of it. It is important to always have at least 2 sources of water for caged pets. This is especially true when it is hot.

Grapes are a good idea.

Well i spoke again to the company, thier baggage area is now heated and air conditioned. Now i need to find a crate. (they sell them for $50, but i have seen used ones for $10 on kijiji)

You may also want to see if you can visit the ratties at any point such as train transfers, during travel, riding with them in cargo during the trip etc.

I know with air travel, often animal crates are left piled near the plane for fairly long periods of time when being loaded, unloaded, transfered to anothe plane etc. This can be an area of concern if the weather is very hot or very cold.

So you might want to check on how transfers from train to train are handled. ....

Make sure their container is extremely strong, can not break, crack, or be easily broken into by another animal and that there is absolutely no way they can get lose ... you don't want them lost in transit.

SQ said:
You may also want to see if you can visit the ratties at any point such as train transfers, during travel, riding with them in cargo during the trip etc.

I know with air travel, often animal crates are left piled near the plane for fairly long periods of time when being loaded, unloaded, transfered to anothe plane etc. This can be an area of concern if the weather is very hot or very cold.

So you might want to check on how transfers from train to train are handled. ....

Make sure their container is extremely strong, can not break, crack, or be easily broken into by another animal and that there is absolutely no way they can get lose ... you don't want them lost in transit.

Yes the crate has to be approved by via rail before boarding. During transfers are the times i can tend to them, so they wont be left alone in that time period. Via rail requires that the crate is padlocked, so no one can get in. So iam off to buy a cat crate, if i can sit on it and it doesnt break, ill buy it :wink:

Back