Any tips to improve rats health?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abrilmarie1111

So I have been researching and researching, I have found a lot of things that people feed their rats to improve their health/keep them healthy.
LIKE::
Coconut oil
Parsley
Garlic
Chickweed
Cinnamon
Oregano
Peppermint
Basil
Apple cider vinegar
and so on..
Of course no one tells you dosage!!!
Does anyone give their rats these or anything else that helps with their rats health? I would love to know and would love to know the dosage!

I don't think an exact dosage is necessary. A sprinkle here, a dash there on their foods. My sister used to give her rats blueberries every single day and she swears it prolonged their life and they never did get sick with mycoplasma. Go easy on the coconut oil, it's still a fat.

The thing is that there isn't some 'magical food' that will keep your rats healthy and all the blueberries etc. in the world will not replace clean air, low-stress environment, good ventilation and clean cages. Focus your efforts on investing in a good air purifier and keeping everyone clean and happy as this is more likely to be worth your effort and achieve good results.

A low fat, low-sugar diet and imo one without animal foods will go a long way. Lots of nutrient-dense fresh food (berries, greens, sweet potatoes etc) is also important. But I wouldn't focus on say, chickweed, as some sort of crucial component.

yes, air quality, large interesting clean cages, rattie friends, daily play time out of cage in a play area with you, low stress, no large changes in temp, and a healthy diet are very important
as are prompt vet care with a good knowledgeable vet, being spayed young and meds when needed

==================

The recommended diet for rats is a good quality block (Oxbow and Harlan Teklad 2014 are the best) available at all times. Rats need low protein so 14% (or at least less then 16% is best). 80% of the diet is a good block.

the other 20% of the diet is daily vegs such as baby kale, broccoli, mixed greens, (fresh or frozen/thawed) peas, cooked sweet potato, baked squash or pumpkin, carrots (raw or cooked), etc
and occasional healthy treats such as a piece of fruit, berries, organic pumpkin seeds, cooked grains such as real oatmeal or 12 grains, or quinoa, fresh or frozen nonGMO corn (GMO corn has been designed to kill rats), etc

watch out for anything with added salt, added sugar, added fat, added artificial sweeteners, GMOs etc

There is a forbidden foods list: http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=590

Back