any suggestions to help some one who lost everything?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tempeltontherat13021

The lady i got tempie and bfr lost everything in a house fire including pets all except for her cat.
She wants the boys back which im agreeable to but she lost all her cages so im giving her one,. I'm going through craigslist and freecycle looking for other stuff she needs. She is a very nice young woman. i'll probably go to the dollar tree to get some odd end things for her kitty and some silver ware and stuff like that for her. I feel bad when stuff like this happens to people and not only do they loose their belongings but their pets too. its sad

The stuff that usually helps the most is the simple stuff.
Let your family and friends know, and see if they can donate things. Any little bit helps and everybody generally has stuff they'd like to give away.
If she has a home now and isn't living at a shelter or something like that, household stuff is good. Clothes are always good, best if they fit, but just fine if they're a little too big. She needs things to get re-started, so it doesn't matter if it's not perfect.

My community was really good about helping out a family that lost everything in a fire a couple years ago. Everybody pitched in with what they could and if they didn't have any actual things to give, they would usually donate a few dollars ($5-$20 generally).
It all adds up.

And if she's one of those people (like so many of us out there) who doesn't like "charity", keeping everything until you've got a lot of stuff and making sure that she knows that nobody gave more than they could, or bought new things especially for her will usually calm the pride enough for her to just take it and say thanks. (and if that doesn't work, I always use the line "Well, I was given strict instructions not to bring it home, so you may as well have it!" :))

If you're having a hard time figuring out what she might need, think of what you use everyday and make a list. That's the stuff to make sure she has right away.
Things like a hairbrush, toothbrush, washcloths and towels, clothes, shoes, dishes, cleaning supplies, etc.

Let us know where you're at and I'm sure there are some members here who could help you out! :nod:

Had a thought!
I have a few supers and a building manager in my family, so I don't know why I didn't think of it before! :doh:

If you (or this lady who lost everything) knows anyone that is a superintendant, landlord, building manager, etc., it might help to tell them the basic story of what happened and what you're trying to do because (in my experience) they sometimes come across things people leave behind when moving and now is prime time for people moving.

If she doesn't have insurance that might help out with some of the bigger things she lost.

Even if nobody knows someone who is a super, landlord, etc., if you can get in touch with some of the friendlier ones in your area, they might help. If stuff has been hanging around for a while, they'll usually be more than happy to have someone come take it off their hands. :)

I wish I was closer, I would like to help.
Good luck!

i already got the following for her:
coffee table
towels
the boys/cage
kitty presents
she needs a computer so i got the following to go for that:
monitor
keyboard
mouse
i just have to find a tower

my friends are trying to help get her some curtains, pots pans and a gas stove.

It sounds like you are doing really well finding things to help her out. :joy:
And it's so nice that you're giving back the two ratties. Pets always help people cope through tough times like this. :)

Do you know what she already has? I mean aside from the stuff you are helping with?
It would be easier to figure out things to consider getting if you know what she has... and then she won't get doubles, and you won't waste any time looking for stuff she doesn't need/already has.

I'm sure you're already looking for things at second hand stores, but if you have a vehicle or access to one, don't forget flea markets and yard sales which are usually plentiful this time of year with people spring cleaning. :)

:sad3: thats so sad.. i cant even imagine how someone can cope with something like that. i hope everything works out for ur friend. i really do.. i will send good vibes her way.

the place we just moved into wouldnt let us move in unless we got tennant insurance. we had been procrastinating on that for a while... glad we now have it. its something everyone should have and so cheap...... you just never know what can happen.. i know it cannot replace ur loved ones or pets .... but it can help u get back on your feet...

I know of at least 3 churches in my town that have free clothing depots. I'm pretty sure my town isn't unique. Ask around and see if you can find a church that provides such a service and you should be able to outfit her with not only clothing but maybe even linens.

Check out what they have to offer though. Of the ones I know of, one has garbage - nothing a decent person would want. If there's one thing I know, it's garbage, cause I work at the local dump! Another has nice quality and designer clothes (rich congregation). And a third has new clothes donated from stores. (It's older, unwanted stock but hey, I'm not embarassed to wear clothes that are more than a year old, are you?).

If your friend weren't so far away I'd help in a heartbeat!

Back