Any suggestions on a Head Bob?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ewa

Last week I got my newest edition to my little village , Mei. (pronounced May) She is adjusting well , and her sister is happy to be with her again. But for the past two days I noticed something very strange. She is doing this head bob thing. It is not a tilt , its a back and forth motion when she is concentrating on something. It looks like the same motion that a snake has . I have read that the head tilt in rats needs vet attention , but this is not a tilt , is a head bobbing motion normal for some rats , because I called my brother ( Mei came from one of his oops litters) and he said that her "twin" ( another little girl that looks exactly like Mei) has the same thing , but none of the others do. I am worried , but it does not seem to be bothering her or stopping her from exploring , eating , or drinking. Anyone know what this is , and if it is alright? Thanks so much guys , I appreciate all the help :hugs:

Rats with pink or ruby (appears black until light a light is shined on it) tend to sway when they are looking at things. It helps them see things better and gives them a little more depth to what's around them. It doesn't sound concering, maybe she's just trying to get a better look at Mama :p

Well , when she was first born we thought PEW but now she is darkening around the face and bum , so maybe a pink eyed Himalayan or pink eyed Siamese?
here is a pic of her

mei.jpg

Rats (especially pink eyed) to this, it allows them to gauge distance of items in their vision. When they move like that they know the closest thing to them will move more then the items farther away so they can tell how far away something is by doing this. They do this because they do not see as well as we do. They use whiskers and other senses to see rather then eyes.

Make sure you don't confuse it to respiratory distress. Head bopping can be dyspnea. If you believe she is having trouble breathing, she must see a vet asap.

Well , I don't think she is having trouble breathing. She isn't making any funky noises when she breaths so , I think it may be the vision thing :D Thanks all though , I learned something new today :joy:

LA said:
When they move like that they know the closest thing to them will move more then the items farther away so they can tell how far away something is by doing this.

Thats a really cool piece of info to know. Thanks LA :)

Sounds very normal to me too. I've even had some black eyed ratties do the swaying too. You can definitely tell if it's just for focusing, when they stop and are looking at you or something a ways out of their range.

It's just so cute!

My black eyed gray Smitten does that, tho I have seen it more in the light colored pink eye kids. (maybe I need a flashlight to see if her eyes are actually a deep red). My beige hooded Savanna did it, I thought she had black eyes til I saw dark red in her eyes in some pictures, then in some light...
All mine that did that were perfectly fine tho. If the kid's head is not tilted to the side always, and she shows no signs or sounds of respiratory trouble I wouldn't worry, that sway is quite commom (tho a little intimidating I think cause they tend to focus on you longer with a look than the others do :? )

There is a difference between a "bob" and a "sway"... pink eyed rats typically do the "sway", which is back and forth and probably what you are describing. If she's doing an up and down "bob" I'd be more worried.

Rats with poor eyesight in general do the sway.

Oh yes thank you all :D I do not think it is a respiratory infection , but I am keeping my eye on her anyhow , thanks jo! And It is definitely a sway back and forth not up and down. I think you are all right , she is just trying to get a look at things :D

Back