Any solution to biting problem?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Brook

I got my male rat a day ago, he was playing with me when i got him and after leaving him in the cage for some hours i hand fed him mealworms. But when i got back from work i tried to change out his food bowl he came out of his hide area, sniffes and bit me. This morning i got him new water and he bit me. I would be sitting by the cage and he would look at me. So it is my issue? Anyways im going to leave him alone and changing his stuff when he is asleep.

Not true. Rats react to you according to how you treat them and according to their own personalities. They never judge you as a person. Most of mine have Loved me. Some are not people oriented and are stand-offish, I had one that would run to bite me Hard his whole time with me no matter what I did. I treated every one the same (apart from protecting myself from Frodo while still giving him outings & treats & loving talk). You need to be patient with him, offer him opportunities to be with you and follow his cues about when he is ready to be closer or needs more time & space.
RELAX Brook, they read your emotions Really well, if you're stressed they'll feel stressed with you. If you just be on the bed or couch with him, you do your thing and let him do his, and quit having expectations of him & yourself things will come around. Read the link I gave you.

Not true. Rats react to you according to how you treat them and according to their own personalities. They never judge you as a person. Most of mine have Loved me. Some are not people oriented and are stand-offish, I had one that would run to bite me Hard his whole time with me no matter what I did. I treated every one the same (apart from protecting myself from Frodo while still giving him outings & treats & loving talk). You need to be patient with him, offer him opportunities to be with you and follow his cues about when he is ready to be closer or needs more time & space.
RELAX Brook, they read your emotions Really well, if you're stressed they'll feel stressed with you. If you just be on the bed or couch with him, you do your thing and let him do his, and quit having expectations of him & yourself things will come around. Read the link I gave you.
he would let me pet him only when i give him food or treat but when he is done he hides his head This morning he would take his food back to his big hideout and i cant see him. Because he bit me twice so im very scared. Last night i have my mouth over my arm just in case he bit me and i wont shake him off, he came over really fast and starts to nibble me and the last few ones got stronger. I can see my process as where on the very first day he is just no where no be found.

Is he living alone? Rats are social animals and need companionship. It sounds like your boy is dealing with a number of issues, territorial, hormonal and maybe loneliness. Can you have him neutered and get him a buddy?

Back