any ideas?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

handmeafish

Can anyone think of a disease that might kill a whole colony in just a few days, while not affecting the carrier rat? and her later born pups?

I can't explain a ton, but it has to do with my rant in random thoughts the other day.

Basicly, this lady bought a rat from a petco. She claims it carried some disease that managed to kill her whole colony. She's been seen by 3 vets, and there is no evidence of this... And she's suing us. There's a ton more to the story, and she isn't going to win, because she's an idiot.

She did have 10 very cute babies tho :) ALL black berks.

handmeafish said:
They are about 2 weeks old

Very very small possibility. Babies are covered by mom's immunity until they are weaned. This is when they would contract the virus, and since mom is still going this is a very small chance.

Did the woman mention any symptoms?

From what I understand, a rat can have already fought the virus off and built up antibodies to it, but still be contagious (which is why after a breakout you have to QT for two months after the last symptom). So that would explain the new rat being healthy while all her other rats are dying. Did she bring any of them to the vet? Can she describe the symptoms to you that they had? SDA and SV are the two main ones.

That is a ridiculous lawsuit though, it is always the responsibility of the buyer to quarantine their new pets...

We got virtually no information from the owner. Her story keeps changing.

"My poor baby pets, I loved them so much!" literally two days later "WHOSE GONNA FEED MY G*D*M*D SNAKES" but then is still trying to pass the my beloved pet rats story off to corporate.

And then her mom calls "she's hysterical about the loss of her pets!" and a few days later "You corporations are all the same! Two days before she got this rat, she bought a rat from Petsmart that was sick too!"

They've been calling different stores all over to make these complaints, as well as the corporate numbers.

BUT i'm guessing, sense none of our other animals have gotten sick, and we aren't exactly going through full quarantine after checking on momma (Meaning clothes change and what not) Actually for the first time in a VERY long time, we have pretty much nothing in our "wellness" room (where we keep the poor sick guys) All thats back there is a bird and the baby rattums and their mommy.

And Dazzle, I think I really like that
it is always the responsibility of the buyer to quarantine their new pets...
Maybe I'll throw that at her if she comes back in lol.

And i've been given the clear to talk about this... Which I think says a lot about what a joke they think this is.

jorats said:
The store should demand a necropsy and full histopathology done on the dead rats. Otherwise, she can't prove a thing.

I wouldnt imagine fighting the fight i am in without a lab report proving I was right. I am sure she is blowing smoke up someone's butt. I bet it gets tossed out.

Back